VMCE Study Session Meetup

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Good day Communtiy -

I wanted to ping you all to see if there is interest in a virtual meetup to discuss items you may be struggling with in studying for the VMCE exam. I will create this post as a Poll to first see if there is interest. But, I also would like to know what topic or topics you are struggling with which you feel would be beneficial for an official Veeam Trainer to further explain/clarify. So for the 2nd part of this, please provide a comment below for the topic(s) you would like to get clarified. 

I’ll let this post run for a week. If there is interest, I will then gather the most or 2 most popular topics wanting to be clarified. I will then set up an interactive webinar with a Veeam Technical Trainer - Razvan Ionescu, for us to do a ‘Teams Meeting’ so you can interact and get your question(s) answered, and hopefully clarified.

My hope is this will be a popular option for the Community, so let’s show some interest!

Are you interested in a webinar to get anything Veeam-related you’re struggling with clarified?

25 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Sounds like a great idea. At this stage, I don’t have any direct struggles, but would be great to still sit in and listen to others and get a better understanding or learn something I didn’t know I didn’t know. 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is a great idea and while I have already done the v12 VMCE I am all for helping others and maybe some of this might help with my VMCA coming up on the 27th to review some things. 😎

Userlevel 3
Badge

You all will love Razvan.  I’ve taught with him before.  He has an amazing wealth of knowledge!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Good day Communtiy -

I wanted to ping you all to see if there is interest in a virtual meetup to discuss items you may be struggling with in studying for the VMCE exam. I will create this post as a Poll to first see if there is interest. But, I also would like to know what topic or topics you are struggling with which you feel would be beneficial for an official Veeam Trainer to further explain/clarify. So for the 2nd part of this, please provide a comment below for the topic(s) you would like to get clarified. 

I’ll let this post run for a week. If there is interest, I will then gather the most or 2 most popular topics wanting to be clarified. I will then set up an interactive webinar with a Veeam Technical Trainer - Razvan Ionescu, for us to do a ‘Teams Meeting’ so you can interact and get your question(s) answered, and hopefully clarified.

My hope is this will be a popular option for the Community, so let’s show some interest!

It is always good to cover topics that you seldom use. You never know they might be on the exam lol😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This would be great….I need to set aside time to study for and schedule the exam, but I’ve been crazy busy.  I don’t mind a little bit of external motivation from something like this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Really liking the ‘vote interest’, but for this to work, we need community members 1. who are actively studying (hopefully); and 2. for those who are actively studying, share what topic(s) they’d like to discuss in the session here in the comments section.

@dloseke - I find it best to begin studying by taking the ‘mental approach’ of only thinking in small chunks. In other words, for ex. when starting reading through the User Guide, don’t look at the Guide holistically, but rather by “sections” - Planning and Prep, Security, Licensing, Deployment, etc. Before you know it, you’re 4-5 sections in and well on your way studying-wise. 😊 Hope that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Really liking the ‘vote interest’, but for this to work, we need community members 1. who are actively studying (hopefully); and 2. for those who are actively studying, share what topic(s) they’d like to discuss in the session here in the comments section.

@dloseke - I find it best to begin studying by taking the ‘mental approach’ of only thinking in small chunks. In other words, for ex. when starting reading through the User Guide, don’t look at the Guide holistically, but rather by “sections” - Planning and Prep, Security, Licensing, Deployment, etc. Before you know it, you’re 4-5 sections in and well on your way studying-wise. 😊 Hope that helps.

Ooh...thanks for that advice.  That certainly points out one of my roadblocks, so I appreciate the guidance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ooh...thanks for that advice.  That certainly points out one of my roadblocks, so I appreciate the guidance.

I think it’s one we all kinda have 😂  ...so no problem at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Here I am 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Andanet ...so, you’re studying for your VMCE? What topic/topics would you like to have a webinar on?

Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

To get started with some topics, two topics off the top of my head that I’d like some more in-depth help understanding are Instant Recovery and External Repositories (Data Domain, etc) and the de-dupe options and the use of them compared to a standard block repository. 

Something along those line perhaps? 

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

To get started with some topics, two topics off the top of my head that I’d like some more in-depth help understanding are Instant Recovery and External Repositories (Data Domain, etc) and the de-dupe options and the use of them compared to a standard block repository. 

Something along those line perhaps? 

Thank you.

Hi @keiranshelden ...ok, thank you. What about IR do you want to have further explained that the Guide doesn’t clarify? What about external Repositories do you have questions on? Thank you for your interest.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well, I think a virtual meetup is a brilliant idea.

It will be a great way to keep the motivation, and continue to study.

However, I think, it shall be a little differently, than the one, You suggest, coolsport00.

We are all at different levels. Some may have studied for several months, while others have just started.

When you ask for topics, and keiranshelden said “Instant Recovery and External Repositories”, you could make a webinar of that, but I think, you shall do something different.

When Geuff Burke suggested this study group, lots of people were interested and even people who had already passed the VMCE would participate. But after some time, where more and more people have passed, such a study group will die. It always goes that way.

What I think, we shall do instead is:

I think we should have a virtual meetup - maybe once every 2nd week.

Each meeting shall have a content/topic based on the VMCE Course description.

Maybe a list of links to relevant material (how to videos - Veeam University - youtube etc) can be privided, so that people can study those before the virtual meetup.

I think, it would be nice, if we started each meeting/webinar with a quick presentation from one of the experts. Then a discussion of the topic. Maybe also with some examples on, What a VMCE test question within the topic could look like, which things to notice and maybe where can be pitfalls.

In that way, we can contiously have i.e. bi-weekly meetings, where people would also participate after passing their VMCE, as it will keep their knowledge updated and make the next VMCE easier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Henning -

Thank you for your comment. I like some of your ideas for sure. But, what this ‘webinar/meetup’ I’m talking about above is about is somewhat of a “one-off” kind of thing. I’ll explain more in a minute…

The webinar/meetup I believe you’re suggesting is more of what I call a study group, which I’m ALL FOR. Community members who are currently studying for the VMCE should start this on their own by creating a post here in the VMCE Study Hall and ask others who are studying for the VMCE if they want to be be part of a study group. Those interested can then just share a meeting link and begin the group whenever is convenient for the group members. And the frequency of the meetups similarly will be determined by the group. The format and items discussed will also be dependent on the group. Everyone is different in how they study, so groups will be different each time I think. I don’t mind being a part of anyone’s study group to begin with to provide study pointers and/or feedback on items discussed. I can also reach out to other Community members who are VMCE certified to also be a part of these groups to provide feedback, etc. Someone just needs to create a post asking others to be a part of a group to get the ball rolling 😊 

When you talk about ‘such groups will die’, well that’s inevitable. The VMCE, as well as the VMCA and any other tech cert, will always be cyclical. What this means is there will be some time when more of the Community will be active in pursuing a certification, mostly due to expiry. And, there will be long stretches of time when there won’t be much activity because the Community already has a given cert or simply are no longer interested in pursuing them. Regardless, I will try my best to keep this VMCE group at least semi-active with content to help others even if there are only 1 or 2 members of the Community who are currently pursuing the VMCE.

Ok, so back to more about the webinar I’m talking about → This webinar I’m referring to here is for those who are studying on their own, or maybe a handful who are studying as part of a group, and have come to a point in their studies where they need more explanation on a topic than what the User Guide or other official documentation provides, to get a bit more understanding on how something works. This webinar will solely be focused on that 1 or 2 topics for 30mins, with questions asked about only those 1 or 2 topics. Hope that helps clarify. Let me know if not.

If you have any more suggestions, or have any questions about anything, please don’t hesitate to share.

Best.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi coolsport00,

Maybe it is just me, who are a little confused, but my impression was, that Geuff Burke suggested to form a study group some months ago.

After that, people have been working on the concept, and my impression was, that the VMCE Study Hall was the result of that work.

And now, You say, what I suggested was more like, what you would call a study group?

I understand, that the webinar, you suggested is different from what I suggested, but that does not mean, we can’t have both, does it?

I think, it should be considered to also have the kind of webinars, I suggested. I guess a lot of people could benefit from such webinars, where content is a topic relevant for the VMCE, and also some info about what to pay special attention to, and where pitfalls could be.

What do you other people think? - Am I alone with that idea, or does anyone agree with me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Henning -

Yes, Geoff did suggest for Community members to form a Study Group. But the concept is a Community member driven and focused one. The VMCE (and VMCA) Study Halls were not formed create VMCE/VMCA Study Groups, but as a consolidated space dedicated to Veeam certification studies as a whole. Study Groups is just 1 part of that.

The webinar I’m going to have is not a Study Group, but rather an occasional meetup to help an individual, a few individuals, or Study Group(s). If, while an individual or several Community members in a Study Group, are studyig for the VMCE, and have a need for further clarification on a subject matter or 2, then that’s where I would come in and try to help by seeing if a Veeam Technical Trainer can offer some of their time for a meetup (webinar) session to further explain a given topic or 2 the individual and/or Study Group members are struggling with. Whether these sessions can happen will be based off time available by Veeam Technical Trainers.

Correct me if I”m wrong, but what I think you’re suggesting is to just have an occasional webinar on its own to discuss some Veeam topic, correct? We can certainly consider that. Again, anything to help the Community succeed in its VMCE cert endeavors. But, just as with the ‘special webinar’ I’m talking about above, the ability to have those will be dependent on time available for Veeam Technical Trainers or other Veeam staff (Product Strategy and/or Product Managers...just whoever at Veeam who’s willing to help).

Veeam kind of already does this kind of webinar though - Veeam Tech Bites. Rick Vanover has done a couple discussing Malware Detection and Veeam Instant Recovery to HV; Kirsten Stoner has discussed VeeamONE; Karinne Bessett has discussed VB365; etc. They’re typically on various other social media sites. Maybe, at the very least, until we get our footing here, we can at least share those videos here in the Study Hall. Again, good ideas….thank you for sharing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @keiranshelden - can you share what about IR specifically you’d like to get clarified about? I’d like to finalize something with Razvan soon.

Thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey @coolsport00 - Sure. IR as more of a general item, but when getting into the weeds of it, understanding each component and what needs to talk to each other + the clean up process.  Whilst I’ve had it run successfully in the past, it hasn’t been without a few issues through that process. The clean up left some residue as well, so I must have done something wrong there. 

Does that help? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @keiranshelden - yes, that does help narrow things down a bit. I'll see what we can do. When you say 'cleanup left some residue', do you mean the NFS Datastore gets left on a Host? Because that certainly happens more than not.

Thanks. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

That’s the one. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That’s the one. :)

Ok, thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Will be posting info about a webinar study session about IR and SOBR Copy/Move behavior before end of day Monday. Be on the lookout!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For those not aware, and still want to join, we will be having a VMCE Study Session webinar to discuss Instant Recovery (per @keiranshelden ) and SOBR Copy/Move functionality. I will be facilitating the discussion & Razvan Ionescu will be doing the training. Register at link below:

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks @coolsport00 - Will it be recorded?  Unfortunately I can’t make that session, it’s right in the middle of the night for me. But definitely looking forward to seeing the content!  Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thanks @coolsport00 - Will it be recorded?  Unfortunately I can’t make that session, it’s right in the middle of the night for me. But definitely looking forward to seeing the content!  Thanks! 

Hi Keran...I think it’ll be recorded yes. Sorry you are unable to make it. Wasn’t for sure what the webinar scheduled time would be where you’re at. Hard to make a “good” time for everyone globally ...but we try to accommodate as best we can. 😊

Thanks.

Comment