Solved

Kasten Backup repository sizing

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi 

I am looking for some guidance for the backup data export sizing with Kasten. Let’s say, my case has 10TB production data, daily backup with 30 restore points, 5% delta change daily. I assume the compression and deduplication will save up 50%. Does it mean that I need to have at least 10TBx30x50% =150TB for my backup repository ?

I do see in a lab that the second backup is much smaller than the first backup. Is there any incremental backup / global deduplication in the backup data export behind the scene ? 

Chris

icon

Best answer by Geoff Burke 25 August 2021, 15:30

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Kasten makes definitive incremental backups. You will not need space for 30 full backups in your case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Kasten makes definitive incremental backups. You will not need space for 30 full backups in your case.

Definitely it does. Hopefully the experts chime in too as I have not used it much just getting in to it. Paging @Geoff Burke

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi 

I am looking for some guidance for the backup data export sizing with Kasten. Let’s say, my case has 10TB production data, daily backup with 30 restore points, 5% delta change daily. I assume the compression and deduplication will save up 50%. Does it mean that I need to have at least 10TBx30x50% =150TB for my backup repository ?

I do see in a lab that the second backup is much smaller than the first backup. Is there any incremental backup / global deduplication in the backup data export behind the scene ? 

Chris

Hi Chris,

So as everyone has said Kasten will leverage incremental snapshots and then there is a certain level of deduplication and compressions as well with the offload. The offloads can then be sent to S3 or NFS. A lot of course will depend on your workloads and rate of change. You can find more info in the Kasten documentation https://docs.kasten.io/latest/usage/protect.html

Comment