K10 vs others

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Read about different backup solutions for Kubernetes in this article and others afterwards.

https://blocksandfiles.com/2023/01/28/velero-headache-kasten-portworx-trilio/

I started a little bit to compare solutions. As always, it seems to depend.

Now I am interested to know what the community thinks about the comparison between K10 and Velero?  As I understand it, both use the available k8s-API. Which is good. But is one better for small environments because of open-souce vs commercial? Or technically more advanced? …

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Velero lacks features and I personally did not find it very user friendly. The fellow’s comment about 10 nodes free being a joke is… well… First of all Kasten only allows 5 free nodes, second of all I can run some pretty hardcore production on 10 nodes so I am assuming he is thinking more in hypervisor terms not container orchestration. He also states “cloud provider apis” but then talks about on-prem as well. So again seems he might be confused. Kubernetes backup, if it is considered to be native would have to leverage the api-server. If Velero improves that would be great, the more competition the better but right now Kasten for me is by far the leader. If I add to this equation more integration with VBR then it becomes a no brainer choice for me since so many workloads that I deal and will be dealing with are hybrid Virtualized and Containerized right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I would like to hear from some other backup tools for kubernetes, too.

K10 is good, but for smaller customers too expensive….

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Velero lacks features and I personally did not find it very user friendly. The fellow’s comment about 10 nodes free being a joke is… well… First of all Kasten only allows 5 free nodes, second of all I can run some pretty hardcore production on 10 nodes so I am assuming he is thinking more in hypervisor terms not container orchestration. He also states “cloud provider apis” but then talks about on-prem as well. So again seems he might be confused. Kubernetes backup, if it is considered to be native would have to leverage the api-server. If Velero improves that would be great, the more competition the better but right now Kasten for me is by far the leader. If I add to this equation more integration with VBR then it becomes a no brainer choice for me since so many workloads that I deal and will be dealing with are hybrid Virtualized and Containerized right now.

Thanks @Geoff Burke  for your comment!

Comment