Cloud Native Weekly - All things Cloudy - 16-05-2023

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

As I write this, I am jumping over the Atlantic Ocean heading for Toronto and then down to Miami (over the weekend), I want to get into both of those events here today. If this happens to be uploaded on Tuesday, then just know that this is what I was doing up there in the clouds.

My Apple emoji and GitHub profile picture of my heads in the clouds

KubeHuddle History

I have mentioned a few times and I know @Geoff Burke has as well about this exciting upcoming event in Toronto, this will be my first trip to Canada, and I am super excited. Two things for me that makes this super exciting.

1. How in all the years of travelling to conferences, events and meetings have I never been to Canada! A friend of mine has just emigrated to Toronto as well and he says how great it is, I hope to see a little of that this week. 
  2. Secondly and most importantly is the event, KubeHuddle. This event started last year in September 2022 and it was in Edinburgh, a short little hop on a plane or train for me in the midlands of England.

Link to 2022 event - https://kubehuddle.com/2022/edinburgh/ 

Link to 2023 event - https://kubehuddle.com/2023/toronto/

I am sure we do not need to go into number 1 too much here but if you are attending either event ask me about Toronto over the next two weeks.

Back to KubeHuddle, Edinburgh. Most of you are aware that this Cloud native, Kubernetes community is relatively new for me, it was March 2021 when I was “parachuted” into the Kasten business unit to help understand and start understanding the community whilst raising awareness and driving adoption of our technologies both Open Source and commercial to the community.

The aim within the community regardless of which, should be to raise awareness and drive adoption

There is so much to learn when in this new world, especially when I come from a infrastructure background of virtualisation, storage, and data protection which I know many of you do to. 

Last year I was unable to attend KubeCon in Valencia in fact just the other week was my first KubeCon EU in Amsterdam and then I attended KubeCon NA in October 2022 not long after KubeHuddle.

Throughout 2022 I did get to attend some smaller community user groups locally to me in London, then I heard about KubeHuddle I believe it was around DevOpsDays Birmingham (Another event anyone in the UK should consider looking at)

KubeHuddle was a two-day event, with some fantastic sessions that were not focused towards the programmer or developer, one of my talks was accepted “Integrating Backup into your GitOps Pipeline” and the room was full! An audience overall a little bigger than a user group meet up and people from all over the world within the community attending.

KubeHuddle – Toronto – 2023

And here we are traipsing across the Atlantic Ocean to meet up with that extended community that I am sure will have grown since the inaugural event in Scotland. Here we have a lot going on!

Kasten are sponsoring! I think its platinum.

Sponsoring KubeHuddle in Toronto

We have a learning day workshop happening on the Wednesday, I have said over the weeks about that learning journey, so we want to help get people to understand the fundamentals and building blocks when it comes to Kubernetes. These workshops allow us to get hands on with some of the areas around data and storage over the first day.

I have a session “Fantastic Features “ this session will walk through some of the available features in the Kubernetes storage stack which enable us to protect the data that we might be running on the cluster, it will touch on the native features but also touch on some of the available Open Source tooling that can assist scale and protection when it comes specifically to data services and databases. The final slide then points to Kasten K10 which is the easy button when it comes to this data protection journey and maybe this can be the sequel to this session.

Tell me you have not seen Fantastic Beasts and where to find them without telling me, Speaker image of session. 

We also have sessions from Julia, Julia has been sharing her journey into Cloud and Kubernetes at these events and since joining Veeam she has been soaking up all the knowledge she can when it comes to AWS, Kubernetes, and DevOps. Excited to see how this talk she is giving has evolved since she has learned more.

Julia session information, is Kubernetes complicated?

Obviously I need to give Geoff a big shout out as well who is also covering a great topic… I wonder how he will achieve those Application Aware Kubernetes backups… 

Geoff speaker session talking about app aware backups, would make a great blog… 

On the Thursday of the event, in that same workshop room we have our cloud native community manager Cassandra heading up some panels.

I cannot wait to get to see the community again in person and visit a new city all in the same week!

VeeamON – Miami – 2023

VeeamON Banner

If you had not guessed, I will not be heading home after Toronto but it’s a straight hop down from YYZ airport and into Miami early on Saturday morning where the VeeamON excitement starts. Now this whole post next week will go through in some more detail I think on VeeamON but I wanted to add something here as well.

Firstly, it is amazing to be back where we had VeeamON in 2019. Back at a famous Fontainebleau hotel in Miami, I mean Vegas last year was great, but Miami has that unique exciting vibe to it, and I am 100% confident that if you are attending then you will have a great experience!

Last time we were in Miami I think there was probably just one Kubernetes or Kasten focused session, Kasten at the time were an alliance partner and we were working closely on some specific accounts. Before an accusation that happened later in October 2020.

Fast forward to 2023 and we have at least 5 sessions including a learning workshop on day zero, some mainstage demos and a panel discussion. I believe this is because of what I have said in previous posts about that progression of people having to have a better understanding of containerisation and Kubernetes.

I think this was New Orleans VeeamON 2017 and I am showing NAS backup.

Next Week – VeeamON

Alongside VeeamON and the in person and virtual experience we have some announcements the one I will touch on more on Monday next week is Kasten K10 6.0 if you want to see a sneak peek to some of those innovation features then head on over to the release notes page on docs.kasten.io

Are you attending KubeHuddle?

Are you attending VeeamON?

What are you looking forward to?

Next week I will give a preview into the sessions that I have at VeeamON before getting back to some more broader points in the Cloud Native world, starting with Kasten K10 6.0 in some more detail. 

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I will be honest, presenting in front of live humans and not my friendly webcam is going to be quite intimidating. In a former life I would have visited the pub first then gone onstage but that option is no longer there 😀so I will have to go in and tremble. At the end of the day there is always the comforting thought that I look so funny people will at least get some comic value out of my session :).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Awesome! Enjoy the trip Michael. I myself have never been to CAN and I live in the same ‘area’ as they do (N America) 😊

Not going there, but obviously will be at VeeamON. See you all there!

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Would have been great to attend the KubeHuddle event in Toronto as that is not far for me to go but cost and timing were a factor with VeeamON coming and project work.  Best of luck with your presentation and we will see you in Miami next week.  😎

Comment