Solved

Kasten K10 - Need help understanding snapshot retention

• 2 October 2023
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 1

Hello Everybody,

I am new to Kasten K10 and trying to understand the snapshot retention. Below is one of the policies I’ve created.

It takes daily backup of a K8s application.

I need help understanding what exactly does 31 daily, 10 weekly, 12 monthly and 7 yearly snapshots retention mean.

And this is what I see when I get into the restore points:

And what should the settings be to retain backups/snapshots of last 1 month (30 or 31 days), and one snapshot per month for the last one year. So, for example today’s date is Oct 2nd, so daily snapshots from Sep 2nd till today and 1 monthly snapshot from Sep 2022 till Sep 2023. This is just an example, I know it depends on the snapshots Kasten has already taken. But, I want to achieve this.

icon

Best answer by Hagag 4 October 2023, 07:40

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@abhilashhm15 

The retention settings you've shared instruct K10 to maintain 31 snapshots per day. This implies that the retention policy would need to be run 31 times daily. If not, K10 will refrain from deleting any daily snapshots until it accumulates 31 of them. Consequently, K10 will retain snapshots until it reaches this count. When a new snapshot is taken, the oldest one is removed to ensure that there are always 31 snapshots in total.

By following this approach, k10 will ensure that there are only 10 snapshots remaining at the end of each week.

The same idea applies to monthly and yearly snapshots. You will have 12 snapshots per month and 7 snapshots per year.

To ensure that your retention policy aligns precisely with your requirements, it would be helpful if you could provide specific details about the number of snapshots you wish to retain for each day, month, week, and year. 

Once you have clarified this, I can provide you with the proper settings.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Hagag,

Thanks a lot for your response. Now I understand the settings a little better.

So, my requirement is, Kasten should take 1 snapshot everyday and retain snapshots from the past 30/31 days (So, daily snapshots of past 1 month). 

But is it also possible to retain 1 snapshot from previous months up to an year?

For example, today is Oct 3rd. So, I’d need daily backup since Sep 3rd till today. And 1 monthly snapshot from let’s say last day of the previous 12 months. So, 1 from Aug 31st 2023, July 31st 2023, June 30th 2023, so on till Aug 31st 2022.

Why the monthly snapshot is because if we want to go back to previous month’s snapshot, we’d have at least one restore point. I’m not sure if this could be achieved. Please share your thoughts.

Badge

@abhilashhm15 This settings should do the trick. Please test it thoroughly and confirm that it produces the expected results.

Please note the settings are for local snapshots. If you want to save space locally and restore from remote location. you can do export retention. 

*The hourly snapshots should be set to 31 according to your previous requirements. sorry about the inaccurate answer. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@abhilashhm15 From what I understand, you want to take daily snapshots and retain them for 30/31 days. You also want to retain one snapshot from each of the previous 12 months.

If I understand correctly then, Create a Kasten policy with the following settings:

Frequency: Daily
Retention:
Hourly: 0
Daily: 30
Weekly: 0
Monthly: 12
Yearly: 0

The daily retention setting will ensure that you always have 30 days of daily snapshots available by the end of each month. The yearly retention setting will ensure that you always have one snapshot from each of the previous 12 months available.

Consider that maintaining 30 local snapshots at the end of each month results in additional storage expenses. and it's recommended to reduce local retention, which can be more expensive, and increase remote retention ( s3, NFS, etc.), which is typically more cost-effective

Userlevel 1

Hi @Hagag & @michaelxue,

Thanks for the response. Will try them out. Appreciate it.

And yes, we are already snapshotting to a S3 bucket.

Comment