Would you like dark mode for community?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi all,
would you like a setting for a dark mode on the community side?

Dark mode means dark background of the site and bright writing.

I have switched to dark mode in many applications in the last time, because it's much more relaxed for my eyes when using the PC and/or phone the whole workday.

What do you think? Does this make sense for this community site?

Seems that you cannot add a poll after creating a topic.

So I will count the positive and negative reactions in the comments by hand and update here 😎

11 pro dark mode
2 contra dark mode
2 undecided

25 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I am not a fan of dark mode, so I wouldn’t use it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi all,
would you like a setting for a dark mode on the community side?

Dark mode means dark background of the site and bright writing.

I have switched to dark mode in many applications in the last time, because it's much more relaxed for my eyes when using the PC and/or phone the whoöe workday.

What do you think? Does this make sense for this community site?

It does look very bright in white 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

+1 for a dark mode … much easier on my tired old eyes

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I use Night Eye extension for Edge which does the dark mode on all sites for me unless I turn it off for specific sites.  Love dark mode. 😎

Example of this thread now -

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I use Night Eye extension for Edge which does the dark mode on all sites for me unless I turn it off for specific sites.  Love dark mode. 😎

<snip>

OK, that is a workaround…

may I get your comment as a positive answer for dark mode (because you have not answered my question… 😉) ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

<snip>

may I get your comment as a positive answer for dark mode (because you have not answered my question… 😉)?

Something went wrong here, sorry for the duplicate comment….

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’m not a dark mode fan but I’m trying to use it in last time. 

At the moment I’m an undecided man

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

<snip>

may I get your comment as a positive answer for dark mode (because you have not answered my question… 😉)?

Something went wrong here, sorry for the duplicate comment….

I do love dark mode for sure as it helps with eye strain, etc.  It also just looks nicer than having bright white. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I use Dark Mode for everything I can, so yes.  I haven’t done like Chris and used a browser extension for websites as that looks a little funky for me, but everything on my phone, car and computer use Dark mode if available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Okay, you convinced me.  I’m trying Night Eye in Chrome.  I had Dark Reader installed and had disabled it at some point, so we’ll give this one a try and see….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

+1 for dark mode. Especially if it can automatically reflect OS’ settings. My iPhone flips between light & dark based on day or night time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

dark mode >

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

+1 for dark mode. Especially if it can automatically reflect OS’ settings. My iPhone flips between light & dark based on day or night time.

I like to use Dark all the time.  I will note though that Chris’ recommendation of Night Eye does allow you to schedule Dark mode in your browser, or to follow the OS color Scheme. 

One thing thing I’ve started doing, is using f.lux to start removing blue’s from my screen as it get’s dark out.  You may have to play with it to your liking because there are some presets on just how dark you can make it each night and some are pretty darned dark.  https://justgetflux.com/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I m with dark mode … much better

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

+1 for the dark mode

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Not really a dark mode fan! I tested the suggestion from @Chris.Childerhose and it works great before I removed the extension again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

+1 for dark mode but I am in favor of leaving the choice to the user in his personnal settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not really a dark mode fan! I tested the suggestion from @Chris.Childerhose and it works great before I removed the extension again.

Yeah it does work great just not for everyone I know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Love dark mode. use it on everything

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I use Dark Reader extension myself, similar to @Chris.Childerhose 

Some images have white background so they pop a bit.

I’m actually a bit colorblind, so this actually makes it easier for me..

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok, ok, I know about the browser extensions.

But aren't they a workaround only for sites that do not have a dark mode?

Personally, I would prefer to be able to switch between dark and light mode on this site in the settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ok, ok, I know about the browser extensions.

But aren't they a workaround only for sites that do not have a dark mode?

Personally, I would prefer to be able to switch between dark and light mode on this site in the settings.

They are a workaround but if you turn on the extension every site is dark mode. If you don't like it you turn it off for that site.  Easy as that. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

How didn’t I know about Night Eye. wow!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

How didn’t I know about Night Eye. wow!

It is great and there is also Dark Reader that Rick mentioned too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Oh yes, that’s great, I certainly agree with this idea.

Comment