Wordpress Backup to Wasabi

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

FYI, for those of you with WordPress sites (looking at you Vanguards, but I’m sure there are others), I came across a nice plugin for backing up to Wasabi.  This isn’t really Veeam specific at all, but I figured I’d share anyway.

You can find a WordPress plugin called backWPup and create a Wasabi bucket and point the plugin to backup there.  Wasabi actually has a page dedicated to it, but honestly, it was so easy to setup, it was probably unnecessary.  It can of course backup to FTP, Dropbox, Google drive and such like most apps, and there are probably other plugins that do this as well, but since a lot of folks have Wasabi accounts already, I figured it might be helpful for others if they don’t already have something in place.

https://wasabi-support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001900632-How-do-I-use-BackWPup-with-Wasabi-

16 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Very cool.  I am looking to switch hosting providers at some point this year due to costs of my current host so this will come in handy.  Thanks for sharing, Derek.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Very cool.  I am looking to switch hosting providers at some point this year due to costs of my current host so this will come in handy.  Thanks for sharing, Derek.

Might actually work pretty well for migrating data from your existing site to the new site.  I think a lot of the backup utilities have that as well, but some of them may be locked down to a premium version.  Either way, worth a look when you get there.  Even if my hosting service says they do backups, I don’t trust that much…..backups are why we’re all here!  😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Nice to know!

Thanks for that @dloseke ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

So I tried this yesterday and it killed my blog while it ran. Think I need to move hosting providers now as the site should have been accessible. 😂

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

UpdraftPlus can point to Wasabi as well! I use it to back up my blogging site and a few sites that I manage for Scout troops.

https://wasabi-support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001900552-How-do-I-use-UpdraftPlus-with-Wasabi-

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

UpdraftPlus can point to Wasabi as well! I use it to back up my blogging site and a few sites that I manage for Scout troops.

https://wasabi-support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001900552-How-do-I-use-UpdraftPlus-with-Wasabi-

Thanks might need to check this one out too.  The other one not so friendly.  😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, UpdraftPlus was another plugin I had loaded, but when I found the article from Wasabi for BackWPup, I gave that one a try.  UpdraftPlus is what I have running on another site backing up to my Dropbox.  But I may change over to UpdraftPlus for my main site...I believe I did like it better.  The interface us much cleaner and easier to use.  Plus, if Chris experienced his site dropping due to the backup running, I assume he has a lot more to backup and others might enounter this error as sites grow?  I have a very small site, so I’m not surprised if mine works fine while others fail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Okay, yeah, UpdraftPlus was pretty easy as well.  Thanks for the recommendation Jonah.  My initial backup failed due to errors with UpdraftPlus, but I’ve had no issues in the past so I’ll let it ride and see what happens.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah, I removed the other plugin and installed UpDraftPlus so let me see how that goes and if my site becomes unavailable like last time.  LOL 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

LMAO….works great.  Errors were because I changed the access key and secret name for the screenshot while it was running and apparently saved it.  Fixed it and uploaded just fine, and got a summary email afterwords.  I think I’ll just stick with Updraft.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well good news is site still accessible all be it slower than normal while backup is running.  So far so good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Slower > Inaccessible.

The premium version of UpdraftPlus does incremental backups.  Curious...my backup is about 135MB….betting yours is a lot more, so again, not surprised if you take more of a hit than I do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unfortunately a lot of WordPress providers like to offer minimal levels of compute & RAM don’t they which might make the performance hit a lot more noticeable during backups. That being said, if you backup during a period of lower activity, it’s worth not losing all of your content 😆

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Awesome

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, I’ve noticed that my site, despite not having all that much content and still using caching still tends to load slowly the first time.  I suspect that my hosting is a bit lower on the resources, but I’m also paying for the entry level starter plan for now….if I need to upgrade later, but I wanted to get my foot in the door and see where it takes me.  I will say that I haven’t noticed much of an impact to the site when backups are running, but then again, not that much content to backup yet so perhaps that’ll change.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I’ve done a lot of optimizations over the years to get the websites I host running as smoothly as possible. Especially because the Scout websites host event registration systems and online stores. I’ve been the happiest with UpdraftPlus and recently even upgraded to the paid version, so I can schedule when backups run (I do the DBs hourly and everything else daily overnight). The staging and migration tools are incredibly useful too.

Between backup scheduling, Cloudflare for caching, caching on the web server for what Cloudflare misses, and moving to a much better (albeit slightly more expensive host), there has been massive improvement. I’m talking 30+ sec load times hosting a single site with somewhat regular 502 errors 2 years ago to sub-10 sec loading times (usually closer to 2-5) and hosting 4-5 websites with room to grow on resources.

Comment