Solved

Win to synology backup error

Userlevel 3

Hi there. Need help with backup Windows machine to Synology via SMB. I create user with password on my Synology, create a shared folder on my Synology.

Than i create New backup job in Veeam Agent. After i complete all fields (i passed a check pair user/password), i receive error (on screenshot). I tried connect shared folder on Syno to Windows machine - it's ok. One more thing, when i push the "Apply" button in New backup job, in the shared folder created file and delete after half second. What i do wrong?

I translate the error: "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007B)"

icon

Best answer by mva994 27 October 2021, 10:45

View original

19 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

If you do a DNS lookup for nas.local, does it resolve to the correct IP? what happens if you target it via IP instead?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Mhh, three spontan ideas to this:

• Incompatible SMB version?
  • Times on server and NAS are not synchronized?
  • Path length is too long?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are you able to browse the UNC path from the Windows agent machine?  I would start there to see if you can access it using the credentials and this should give you an indication of where the problem could be.  After that check the permissions for the SMB share on Synology to ensure they are correct and that the “veeam” user has Read/Write permissions.

Let us know how that goes.

Userlevel 3

SMB version is allowed from 1 to 3 on Syno.

Yes, on Windows machine i can open UNC path folder, create/remove files.

In Syno user has read/write permisisons.

Time is correct, and synchronized by pool.ntp.org

DNS resolved correct ip. If specify in config IP - error, like by DNS name.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Please use the following format for the username:

HOSTNAME\username

Only the name has never worked for me.

from the guide:

The user name must be specified in the down-level logon name format. For example, DOMAIN\UserName or HOSTNAME\UserName“

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/backup_job_share.html?ver=50

Userlevel 3

HOSTNAME\username

Tried this to. No result :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are there any firewalls between the agent and Synology?  If so be sure the ports are open for communication.  Thinking about other suggestions.

Userlevel 3

Are there any firewalls between the agent and Synology?  If so be sure the ports are open for communication.  Thinking about other suggestions.

No. This is my local home network. Syno and Windows machine in one subnet, all shared folders are perfectly work except Veeam backup.

Userlevel 3

In Syno logs creates this records, when i try create Backup job.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I would check here for the log files for the Agent and see if there are any clues there - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint

Otherwise open a case with Support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@mva994 have you tried using IP instead FQDN?

In any case, I find a similar but not too much issue: https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/backup-configuration-t43324.html

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

HOSTNAME\username

Tried this to. No result :(

Did you try “.\veeam” for the username? Also check if the user has really Full Permissions on the folder, not only read/write.

Userlevel 3

Thank for all! I solved my problem - unsupported chars in password. I generate strong pass for my users, and if Syno works perfect with generated pass, Veeam give me error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thank for all! I solved my problem - unsupported chars in password. I generate strong pass for my users, and if Syno works perfect with generated pass, Veeam give me error.

Very well. Nice to know.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@mva994 Thanks for this info - can you specify which char was not supported? Did it show up correctly within the GUI (when viewing the password). 
If there’s an issue with unsupported chars this should be fed back to the Helpcenter to improve our documentation - I am happy to do this with more info.

Userlevel 3

@mva994 Thanks for this info - can you specify which char was not supported? Did it show up correctly within the GUI (when viewing the password). 
If there’s an issue with unsupported chars this should be fed back to the Helpcenter to improve our documentation - I am happy to do this with more info.

Yes, i used this set of chars:

ßâ̸ì©ã¶¨¢¬Ïòø¥ÑØÐ×ÓÃôµÂÆÖ°ÉÞÚèű¤úæ§Ë»üÜàáʼٮñ¦ûÈù¹õÀë¡óöÝêÕº£ïé«Î³Ä¾½äÒÇðå¿·÷²´ÿýþíÔÁçÍÛ

In Keepass for Windows this checkbox:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok, this are very special chars… :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad you figured it out

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Thank you, I forwarded this to our docs team.

Comment