Skip to main content

a)I have a VBR 12 running on Postgre DB

b)I am setting up another VBR and this time I dont want to use the default Postgre DB.

Hence I an selecting Miceosoft SQL Server but its asking me to create the SQL Instance first. Am I supposed to install SQL Full Blown Instance or SQL Express Instance?

Hi @liyakat_versatile -

As the User Guide states for SQL, you have to specify an already installed instance of SQL if you want to install that DB option.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/install_vbr_sql.html?ver=120

So, you need to have SQL/SQL Express installed on the server you’re installing VBR on, or on a separate server.

@coolsport00 Thanks that answers my question.

Hi, I believe SQL express is still on the ISO but you’ve got to manually install it. Veeam have moved to Postgres as their default and one of the ways that impacts you is if you’ve been using SQL Server Express you won’t be hit by Microsoft’s sizing limitations for the database such as 10GB size, and limited CPU & RAM resources allowed to be consumed.

This will also impact you if you’re using Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager (which if you’ve got multiple VBR instances you’ll need this to centralise your license management unless Veeam have given you independent keys) as you can’t currently manage VBRs with a different database type to VBEM, so you should standardise on SQL or PSQL.

Finally, if you’ve got sql servers that you do application-level recoveries on, you can’t use a VBR server’s PSQL server as a staging server for SQL Server. Therefore you’ve got to specify another SQL server elsewhere for this.

@MicoolPaul 

Thanks for the information. Just found this in What’s New in V12

Microsoft SQL Server continues to be supported and, for the time being, is recommended for environments larger than a few thousand workloads  However, SQL Server is no longer included with the product and must be installed manually 

Comment