Wasabi Rate Increase eff Aug 1, $6.99/TB/Month

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Just so nobody is caught off guard, Wasabi announced a rate increase on Object Storage pricing a week or two ago from 5.99/TB/Mo to 6.99/TB/Mo for Pay-Go and new RCS accounts on Aug 1. (increasing on Oct 1 for existing RCS accounts). If you’re like me and on the brink of moving to an RCS account from Pay-Go, do it in the next two weeks to capture that extra $1/TB/Mo savings.

Still an awesome value either way, but I know more than a few of us use it so wanted to make sure everyone was in the loop.

https://knowledgebase.wasabi.com/hc/en-us/articles/15566987584795

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad we have the 1TB accounts from them we don't pay for. But the increase is not much to me in the bigger picture.  Considering they don't charge the other ingress/egress fees.  Thanks for sharing this for sure. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’m looking at volume pricing from them right now so I won’t be effected, but that is a pretty minimal increase. They are still going to be significantly cheaper than others depending on the needs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Indeed, the thing here is the fact that, year by year, this will start to happen, and people will start getting “upset” or feeling lock down and kidnapped.

personal opinion, 

its a dangerous movement, it reminds me like the Netflix price increase, or others companies movements.

Im very sure this raise is justified, business, well studied, etc.
I don't want to hurt anybodies feelings, but as I said, its just my personal opinion, and I see it “dangerous”.

cheers.

thanks for sharing and highlighting this topic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Indeed, the thing here is the fact that, year by year, this will start to happen, and people will start getting “upset” or feeling lock down and kidnapped.

personal opinion, 

its a dangerous movement, it reminds me like the Netflix price increase, or others companies movements.

Im very sure this raise is justified, business, well studied, etc.
I don't want to hurt anybodies feelings, but as I said, its just my personal opinion, and I see it “dangerous”.

cheers.

thanks for sharing and highlighting this topic.

I agree but still gonna be cheaper than comparable services. But this is due to other factors as discussed here: https://knowledgebase.wasabi.com/hc/en-us/articles/15566987584795

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m looking at volume pricing from them right now so I won’t be effected, but that is a pretty minimal increase. They are still going to be significantly cheaper than others depending on the needs.

+1

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I’ve been researching this heavily, and with over the top retention policies, multiple variables with archive data not knowing when or how much is to be restored, and the ability to retrieve your data at some point, Wasabi is one of the best still.  Once you get everything into Azure Archives if you have PB’s of data, the cost to retrieve it is going to be so outrageous that you might as well have just bought a tape library and never started the cloud migration.  

With the right planning and data classification it’s great, but I have discovered a few things in my search that may help. 

If you are going all in on Azure, it might be worth it, but if you are only looking at a small portion or just Veeam for example, Wasabi is going to win 99% of the time. 

If you have variables such as unknown restores, Wasabi is most likely the best choice as those egress fees and gets/puts can really add up on other platforms. 

The scalability, and not having to migrate data at a future time should be included in your choice as there is no dollar amount listed, but future savings in man hours.  Other things  such as fiber/network ports in your switches can be free compared to another large SAN saving more costs. Building power, rack space, site visits for disk replacements as well. 

It’s by nature an offsite backup for DR that can be immutable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Let’s just say that Backblaze B2 was my second choice behind Wasabi when I was evaluating S3 compatible providers, but I didn’t even stop in their booth at VeeamON….although I could have gone for some hot sauce swag...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Let’s just say that Backblaze B2 was my second choice behind Wasabi when I was evaluating S3 compatible providers, but I didn’t even stop in their booth at VeeamON….although I could have gone for some hot sauce swag...

They are not bad and have a good partnership with Veeam but Wasabi is my preference for S3 vendors unless at work then I use our HCP Cloud Scale. 😁

Comment