Solved

WAN Accelerator

• 23 November 2023
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello,

I’m planning to implement now Backup Copy Jobs over WAN Accelerators.
Our Upload/Download speed is around 850Mbps on both locations

That should be High Bandwidth mode as I already did some research.

Now I would like to have some advices from you guys:

• We have 7 Backup Jobs with total of 20 VMs all combined
  • I will connect Secondary Storage (Synology RS3621xs+) to a VM directly with Ethernet Cable via iSCSI. It will be formatted as ReFS (64KB)

I have following questions:

• Is one to one WAN Accelerator enough or I should implement 2 Source WAN Acceleratros to 1 Target WAN Accelerator
  • What are you’re best practices for scheduling the Backup Copy Job?
    • I used Immediate Copying in last Backup config
  • As I don’t need Global Cache for High Bandiwidth mode, can someone explain how WAN Accelerators are working with High Bandwidth mode

Our Largest VM is 13TB, if that is something that can be helpful with advices.

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 7 December 2023, 20:08

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Check out this page as it has a link to sizing WAN accelerators as well - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/wan_accelerator.html?ver=120

I think it is more the resources and cache sizing that play a part as you can do 1:1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When implementing WAN Accelerators with either BCJ or Replication, you should always have a source and target as stated in the Guide (see Chris’s link). If you have many remote locations to copy to, you shouldn’t assign your single Source WAN Accelerator to multiple remote sites as noted in the Recommendations section.

As far as how Acceleration works for High Bandwidth mode, Veeam doesn’t get too detailed there, but you can read a little about it here from the Guide at the bottom where it talks specifically about how data is transferred using this mode.

I would say Immediate Mode is generally the mode most use, unless there is a scheduling SLA you have to follow with regards to copying data offsite. Immediate Mode doesn’t provide a “window” like Periodic does. Immediate copies data right after the source Backup Jobs complete; whereas Periodic you can schedule more granularly. For example, if you have a source Backup job which backs up throughout the day, but only want to copy after the last Backup run of the day, you need to use Periodic as Immediate doesn’t provide that functionality I believe. Another thing to consider → DB transaction logs. If you want to copy those, you must use Immediate. So, based off those facts, and what the Guide says here and here about each Mode, you’ll need to choose the Mode best for your environment.

Last, with a 13TB VM, keep in mind it’ll take a while for that to copy to your remote site, even if your remote site was fairly “local”.

Hope this helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

When implementing WAN Accelerators with either BCJ or Replication, you should always have a source and target as stated in the Guide (see Chris’s link). If you have many remote locations to copy to, you shouldn’t assign your single Source WAN Accelerator to multiple remote sites as noted in the Recommendations section.

As far as how Acceleration works for High Bandwidth mode, Veeam doesn’t get too detailed there, but you can read a little about it here from the Guide at the bottom where it talks specifically about how data is transferred using this mode.

I would say Immediate Mode is generally the mode most use, unless there is a scheduling SLA you have to follow with regards to copying data offsite. Immediate Mode doesn’t provide a “window” like Periodic does. Immediate copies data right after the source Backup Jobs complete; whereas Periodic you can schedule more granularly. For example, if you have a source Backup job which backs up throughout the day, but only want to copy after the last Backup run of the day, you need to use Periodic as Immediate doesn’t provide that functionality I believe. Another thing to consider → DB transaction logs. If you want to copy those, you must use Immediate. So, based off those facts, and what the Guide says here and here about each Mode, you’ll need to choose the Mode best for your environment.\

Last, with a 13TB VM, keep in mind it’ll take a while for that to copy to your remote site, even if your remote site was failry “local”.

Hope this helps

Hello @coolsport00 and @Chris.Childerhose .

What would you guys recomend for initial seed, how to approach this?
Do I manually copy it somehow or is there any funcionality to do it over Veeam before I configure Backup copy Jobs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I would say Immediate Mode is generally the mode most use, unless there is a scheduling SLA you have to follow with regards to copying data offsite. Immediate Mode doesn’t provide a “window” like Periodic does. Immediate copies data right after the source Backup Jobs complete; whereas Periodic you can schedule more granularly. For example, if you have a source Backup job which backs up throughout the day, but only want to copy after the last Backup run of the day, you need to use Periodic as Immediate doesn’t provide that functionality I believe. Another thing to consider → DB transaction logs. If you want to copy those, you must use Immediate. So, based off those facts, and what the Guide says here and here about each Mode, you’ll need to choose the Mode best for your environment.\

Last, with a 13TB VM, keep in mind it’ll take a while for that to copy to your remote site, even if your remote site was failry “local”.

Hope this helps

Hello @coolsport00,

What would you recommend for Initial seed?
Is there some Veeam functionality that can be helpfull with this or I need to manualy copy the files first and later then configure Backup Copy Jobs

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @NemanjaJanicic - sorry, I didn’t see your response question! I think we covered this in another post though. For Seeding, you need a full copy of your Backup on the remote site then in the BCJ job, you have a section to select it for your VMs; Mapping uses a full copy of a VM on the DR site if you have one already (like, via Replication). If you were referring to WAN Accelerators..using HB mode doesn’t seed.

Hope this helps!

Comment