Solved

#VMCE Pop quiz of the day: 2021-06-10

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’ll try and post a little pop quiz question each day, hope to hear from many of you. Did you know the answer? Did you look it up in the documentation? Did you try it in a lab? Please share some details along with your answer.

The Oracle databases in your company are protected using the Veeam plug-in for RMAN. Which operating systems could the Oracle database be hosted on if you want to restore data back to the database using the Veeam Explorer for Oracle?

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 10 June 2021, 10:06

View original

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think the Explorer is supported for Windows and Linux based systems only. AIX and Solaris are not supported, these OS are additionally supported with the RMAN plugin.

Never used the Explorer for Oracle to restore RMAN data :sunglasses:. “My” Oracle DBAs are glad to manage the RMAN backups by themselves via the plugin.

I did not lookup in the documentation before answering.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I have not much ideas about oracle. So I had to read user guide: Windows, Linux

and - contrary to @JMeixner - Unix (oracle solaris, AIX) … but I did not use it up to now

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have the pleasure of not working with Oracle in production and would’ve guessed Windows & Linux as that feels like it’s the default answer :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

and - contrary to @JMeixner - Unix (oracle solaris, AIX) … but I did not use it up to now

Hi @vNote42 , I don’t think so.

I did  now a lookup in the documentation…

“[For Solaris OS and IBM AIX] Veeam Explorer for Oracle does not support restore of Oracle databases deployed on Solaris OS and IBM AIX. You can restore Oracle databases on Solaris OS and IBM AIX only with RMAN. For details, see the Restore with Oracle RMAN section of the Veeam Plug-ins for Enterprise Applications User Guide.”

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/plugins/restore_veor.html?ver=110

The Veeam Plugin for Oracle RMAN is supported with Windows, Linux, AIX and Solaris, The Veeam explorer for Oracle with Windows and Linux only.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

and - contrary to @JMeixner - Unix (oracle solaris, AIX) … but I did not use it up to now

“[For Solaris OS and IBM AIX] Veeam Explorer for Oracle does not support restore of Oracle databases deployed on Solaris OS and IBM AIX. You can restore Oracle databases on Solaris OS and IBM AIX only with RMAN. For details, see the Restore with Oracle RMAN section of the Veeam Plug-ins for Enterprise Applications User Guide.”

The Veeam Plugin for Oracle RMAN is supported with Windows, Linux, AIX and Solaris, The Veeam explorer for Oracle with Windows and Linux only.

Thanks for this clarification!

I am just as happy as @MicoolPaul  about not having to do Oracle backups/restores. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I am just as happy as @MicoolPaul  about not having to do Oracle backups/restores. 

Think @JMeixner has earned the community badge “Mr Oracle” for his suffering!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I am just as happy as @MicoolPaul  about not having to do Oracle backups/restores. 

Think @JMeixner has earned the community badge “Mr Oracle” for his suffering!

definitely! well deserved!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

:joy::joy::joy: “Mr. Oracle” badge… nice idea. Thank you very much

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@JMeixner: Did you ever take a look at the VEX for Oracle with your DBAs? I know you said they are happy only using RMAN; just wondering what their thoughts were.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@haslund , they are very happy to be able to manage the RMAN data independently from the backup team.

We have discussed the Explorer for Oracle for years - at this time the plugins were not available. The DBAs did not want us to backup and restore the databases. And we don’t use the self-service options up to now. This is an idea for the future...

So, they are more than happy with the plugin solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I have never used the RMAN plug-in. In fact Oracle is not much used with my customers, it’s all SQL ;-). So to answer this one, I had to look it up…

Fortunately, the helpcenter of VEEAM is very good!

System Requirements - Veeam Plug-ins for Enterprise Applications

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Thanks for the continued posts Rasmus. And thanks for the info @JMeixner . Again, nothing “definitive” really on the systems you can restore to. Although, I did find on this page here there are only 2 OS options listed when using the Explorer only - Windows and Linux - when needing to configure their respective required user permissions. I guess at least the OSs are listed  :nerd:

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

For the record, I quit using any AAIP settings quite a long time ago...7-8yrs maybe? Getting jobs to run without warnings or errors was such a pain. For VMs with DBs - we mostly use SQL, but have 1 with Oracle - we just do native DB backups within the app on the server, so we would recover the VM if needed, and/or use the backed up DB filewithin the OS (i.e. file-level restore) to restore the DB.

Cheers!

Comment