Solved

VeeamBackup&Replication_11.0.1.1261_20220302 Installation failure

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Team,

Am facing issues uninstalling VeeamBackup&Replication_11.0.1.1261_20220302.

Control panel does not show any Veeam program but when I search through cmd it shows below components. When I try to remove VBR Server is gives error unable to connect to SQL server. Value cannot be null. Parameter name TargetHost.

Could you please help if anyone has faced and resolved this kind of issue.

icon

Best answer by Arun Das 26 February 2024, 10:01

View original

24 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is SQL server installed or did that piece fail?  Did you try to run the install again to fix it at all?  If you removed SQL before Veeam it throws this error.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Chris,

Yes MSSQL was removed before Veeam, we tried to install Veeam all over again we get 2 option to repair or remove, then it gives this option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Chris,

Yes MSSQL was removed before Veeam, we tried to install Veeam all over again we get 2 option to repair or remove, then it gives this option.

Yeah usually remove SQL after Veeam. Did you try the repair option and see?  There are definitely uninstaller files missing it seems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

A couple other things to try besides what Chris has shared → check if there are any actual Veeam services in the services.msc snapin which are still around. If so & they are running, stop them, disable them, then open an elevated CMD PROMPT and delete them: sc delete <servicename>

Browse through File Explorer in C:\Program Files (x86) , C:\Program Files , and C:\ProgramData\Veeam and delete any Veeam folders still around. Also, delete any reference to the SQL DB at: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.VEEAMSQL2016\MSSQL . There may also be references to Veeam in your Registry, but before going there to search for Veeam references, browse your directories for any Veeam/DB references and delete them first then re-attempt the reinstall.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Chris.Childerhose

Yes I tried to repair and setup fails. When am trying to uninstall the Veeam components. it does not allow me, yes it seems uninstaller files missing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

coolsport00

Hi,

I have already stopped and deleted all the Veeam services sc delete <servicename>. Tried reinstalling Veeam - 11.0.1.1261_20220302 ISO setup, it gives me 2 option to repair or remove.

When I remove or repair is gives below error in picture 2.

Further when I check the Veeam installed components I get below as in picture 3. and unable to delete the component as it gives error unable to connect to SQL Server, Value cannot be null. Parameter name : targethost.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

May be time for support case if you need to get this installed again or manually cleaning up files and registry.  Otherwise suggest to move it to a new server.

I assume you are running this as a user with administrative rights too?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When you go to install, by your screenshot above, there appears to be a link to setup.log file. Maybe something more concrete/definitive is shared in the log?

Otherwise, a support call is the next step….. aside from just building up a new server and installing VBR on it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

coolsport00

I tried checking the link to setup.log file and is as below. yes will also raise a case with Veeam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

coolsport00

I tried checking the link to setup.log file and is as below. yes will also raise a case with Veeam.

Look for the VBRCatalog folder - is that on the OS drive or another drive?  If so, try deleting that manually and then try again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @Arun Das 

Why don’t you install it on new fresh windows machine? you can also restore your old Veeam backup server configuration if you have access to the backup files

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Moustafa_Hindawi,

This is production physical machine and hence installing on a different machine will not work here.

The installation is not completed and hence I would not be also be able to restore the old configuration.

Installation is stuck at Repair or remove, either when we perform we get below errors. I think the uninstaller files are missing.

Below two installation files still exist on the server and when I try to uninstall this gives below error.

am looking for some help were I can delete the above installation files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Rather than running the MISEXEC on the command line have you tried the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel to see what that reports?  Just wondering as it sometimes will clean up things and maybe allow the installer to run after?

You may need to do a registry edit too and get rid of the Veeam folder under HKCU/HKLM in the Software main folder.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Chris.Childerhose,

Am trying to run the MISEXEC on the command line because the Veeam components does not appear under command prompt.

Can you help me with the registry edit through which I get rid of the Veeam folder under HKCU/HKLM in the Software main folder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Arun Das 

You can try to remove the following keys but keep in mind I am not responsible for anything that may happen to the system doing this -

HKLM\Software\Veeam -- Entire Veeam key under Software

HKLM\WOW6432Node\Veeam -- Entire Veeam key under here

These are the two primary keys where Veeam stores data during installation.  If that does not help, then you will either need to search the registry and remove keys one at a time or use a cleaning tool.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This is production physical machine and hence installing on a different machine will not work here.

The installation is not completed and hence I would not be also be able to restore the old configuration.

@Arun Das - I don’t understand your above statement. Whether physical or virtual, production or test, you can certainly reinstall the OS and restore your Veeam from backup. Hopefully you had Veeam Configuration Database backups enabled? The default location they’re stored is on the Veeam server at: C:\Backup\VeeamConfigBackup\<name-of-server>\<name-of-backup-file>.bco

All you need to do is copy the latest .bco file to a USB, reinstall Windows on your server, install Veeam (v12 recommended), connect your USB with the .bco file, open the Console > Menu. Configuration Database > Restore button and select the .bco file to restore Veeam. Select to ‘Migrate’ though, so you can migrate your DB from 11 to 12. Is there some other reason you can’t rebuild your Veeam Windows server?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi coolsport00,

Per my understanding if BCO file for 9.5 will through an error when I restore it on 11a version. Configuration file is of 9.5 older version. I can try reinstall the OS and install the Veeam again and see.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As long as your Veeam 9.5 version is of the build number in the Veeam upgrade paths KB I shared on your other post, you should be able to migrate to 11.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi coolsport00,

Thank you for the info, let me try then.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And even if you're not on the needed 9.5 build, you can install v10 then restore your config DB, then upgrade to 11 or 12.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Arun Das -

I am just following up on your post here. Did any of the provided comments help you with your error? If so, can you select which one helped you as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar issue who come across your post may benefit? 

If none helped you, can you share what you did to resolve the issue...again, to benefit the Community?

Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi coolsport00,

I had to use “your installer” to detect Veeam components, could locate and remove the stuck Veeam  components, rebooted VBR and I could then successfully install the new Veeam version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi coolsport00,

I had to use “your installer” to detect Veeam components, could locate and remove the stuck Veeam  components, rebooted VBR and I could then successfully install the new Veeam version.

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Arun Das -

Ok, great. Thanks for the update. Glad you found a tool to find/detect residual leftover files to remove so you could then get it installed.

Comment