Veeam v12.1 Issues?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Happy New Year Community!

Has anyone who’s upgraded VBR to v12.1… have there been any notable issues reported? I know with the upgrade, which supports upgrade of vSphere to 8U2, there is a CBT bug within vSphere when upgrading VM disks. That isn’t a Veeam issue though...rather a VMware issue. Simple fix for that is simply don’t upgrade vSphere to 8U2. 🙂 Other than that, has there been anything discussed ‘in the wild’ as it were on upgrade issues I have not yet heard about? I’d like to upgrade, but want to make sure there’s no egregious bugs before doing so. 

Cheers all.

44 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Nothing that I have ran in to so far and I am even testing migration to Postgres as well.

Saw this one mentioned from another post here that is interesting but may not affect most I assume - https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/file-copy-of-configuration-backup-not-working-on-v12-1-with-4-eyes-authorization-t91483.html

Good luck on the upgrade and have backups beforehand. 😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thanks Chris. Ok, so that’s a new(ish) one. Appreciate it. Thankfully, I don’t use file copy for anything...so that’s all good. 🙂

I always snapshot the VBR server before upgrading, as well as take an updated config DB backup (already on PGSQL). I think I’m going to look to upgrade in the next wk or 2.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah, it is a newish one from what I have seen so far.  Good luck on the upgrade. 👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have only had one error relating to Veeam ONE upgrade. In my quest to resolve this error, I have had three additional Windows errors. Veeam recommends and referenced this link: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/configuration/system.webserver/security/authentication/clientcertificatemappingauthentication

But like I said, I have had other issues. I will resolve these issues and blog about them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Nothing that I have ran in to so far and I am even testing migration to Postgres as well.

Saw this one mentioned from another post here that is interesting but may not affect most I assume - https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/file-copy-of-configuration-backup-not-working-on-v12-1-with-4-eyes-authorization-t91483.html

It’s me, the proud scout :D. 

I can't find the link from the forum topic, but you need to temporarily enable ssh on the HLRs when you update the components. From what I've been able to read, this will be resolved in CP1.

Running in production since 3 weeks, so far so good except the one already mentioned.
I’m happy some issues i had with v12.0 last CP were solved. 

• Slow performance on Jumbo BCJ
  • Load/performance issue on MSSQL DB
  • Related to previous point, orphan vib full storage not found

The surprise for me was the long update time for enterprise manager (1h15). Around 45 mins for VBRs, 15 mins for Vone.

Took me around 4 hours to upgrade a large scale backup infra multi DC, this is include some pre and post tasks. For me he was worth it to update.

What annoyed me the most was loading the iso's on secure environments and reactivating temporarily ssh/rdp with the security mechanisms :)

Enjoy new v12.1 features and the upgrade adventure!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It’s me, the proud scout :D. 

I can't find the link from the forum topic, but you need to temporarily enable ssh on the HLRs when you update the components. From what I've been able to read, this will be resolved in CP1.

Running in production since 3 weeks, so far so good except the one already mentioned.
I’m happy some issues i had with v12.0 last CP were solved. 

• Slow performance on Jumbo BCJ
  • Load/performance issue on MSSQL DB
  • Related to previous point, orphan vib full storage not found

The surprise for me was the long update time for enterprise manager (1h15). Around 45 mins for VBRs, 15 mins for Vone.

Took me around 4 hours to upgrade a large scale backup infra multi DC, this is include some pre and post tasks. For me he was worth it to update.

What annoyed me the most was loading the iso's on secure environments and reactivating temporarily ssh/rdp with the security mechanisms :)

Enjoy new v12.1 features and the upgrade adventure!

Yeah, the VHRs you need to get in to Single-User mode to update them then reboot to get back to hardened mode.  There is an article on this, and it works well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Great responses, I think I’ll go forward with it next week. Disable all the jobs and take a fresh copy of the config backup!!

Config Backup is a much better than a VMware snapshot.  If you upgrade your repos, proxies, client console and have issues, restoring to an old snapshot could potentially cause more as things will be at different versions.  Having that snapshot is a great secondary method. If I had something break, I’d just do a clean install of 12.1 on a fresh server and import the config. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You may check out our known issue topic:

https://forums.veeam.com/post506278.html#p506278

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I personally have installed a greenfield deployment of 12.1 and have had no issues.  I upgraded our internal server after I had upgraded our SPC/VCC environment and all seems to be well except I’m having an issue with upgrading my two proxy servers, likely because of the CDP proxy services.  CDP proxies get me every time...but in this case, I can’t upgrade the other roles until apparently I have CDP upgraded as well.  I’ll work though it though.

I haven’t enabled any of the Malware detection features but I should be doing that soon.

Aside from that, I think I’m pretty well ready to being rolling 12.1 to my end users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

It’s good to hear that the upgrades have been smooth. I should be upgrading our environment soon. 

Userlevel 2

Since upgrading to V12.1 our unstructured data copies no longer work correctly.  What would run under 10 minutes now takes 12 hours.  We’ve opened a ticket with support and hope to have this issue resolved soon.

What we’re seeing is the copy job copies the same recovery point over and over and over again.  More to come.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For some reason, I stopped getting notified on this thread. I notice that behavior occurs often on other posts as well. Initially, all good..I get notified when folks comment/respond. Then, POOF! No more. 🤔

Anyway, thanks for all the additional responses. As a few others have said, I will be rolling out “soon”. Appreciate the Forum share @Mildur . I’ll skim through that as well.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

How did the upgrade go @coolsport00 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not done so yet. Think I'm going to wait for the update to be released. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Not done so yet. Think I'm going to wait for the update to be released. 

Thinking I might do the same

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yeah...will save us from having to do an upgrade /update twice 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I was considering it this week if I get time, but hoping the new IBM Snapshots are supported in the next version with policy based replication. 

Any word on when that update is scheduled? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I want the update to come out to test the VHR upgrades without having to use Single-User mode like I did the first upgrade.   Hopefully we don’t have to wait long on this otherwise I will just go ahead.  May do it anyway for blog post to include the VHR.  😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not heard anything myself Scott. Is what Anton shared on pg. 21 of the What’s New doc what you’re looking for? (doesn't look like it tho)

https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_12_1_whats_new_wn.pdf

Userlevel 2

Since upgrading to V12.1 our unstructured data copies no longer work correctly.  What would run under 10 minutes now takes 12 hours.  We’ve opened a ticket with support and hope to have this issue resolved soon.

What we’re seeing is the copy job copies the same recovery point over and over and over again.  More to come.

As of this morning we still do not have a resolution from support.  Everything else appears to work as intended.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As of this morning we still do not have a resolution from support.  Everything else appears to work as intended.

Stick with Support as they will figure it out.   Also today is a holiday in the US so be patient.

Userlevel 2

Since upgrading to V12.1 our unstructured data copies no longer work correctly.  What would run under 10 minutes now takes 12 hours.  We’ve opened a ticket with support and hope to have this issue resolved soon.What we’re seeing is the copy job copies the same recovery point over and over and over again.  More to come.

Appears there is a bug in the NAS offsite copy SQL routine.  Support sent us a patch to apply to SQL and the problem is resolved.

Here is Supports response - “Found that in 12.1 the NAS copy job does not seem to be filtering out duplicate points when it checks what should be copied. This results in it trying to copy the same point repeatedly. In the previous version it consistently only had 1 point to copy, but now it's basically trying to copy the same point 90-100 times. I found a similar issue being discussed with RND, and it looks like a change to one of the Microsoft SQL stored procedures is the culprit.”

A big THANKS to Veeam Support for fixing the problem!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Glad they got it resolved for you. Did you update your other Hub post to share how Support resolved the issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Since upgrading to V12.1 our unstructured data copies no longer work correctly.  What would run under 10 minutes now takes 12 hours.  We’ve opened a ticket with support and hope to have this issue resolved soon.What we’re seeing is the copy job copies the same recovery point over and over and over again.  More to come.

Appears there is a bug in the NAS offsite copy SQL routine.  Support sent us a patch to apply to SQL and the problem is resolved.

Here is Supports response - “Found that in 12.1 the NAS copy job does not seem to be filtering out duplicate points when it checks what should be copied. This results in it trying to copy the same point repeatedly. In the previous version it consistently only had 1 point to copy, but now it's basically trying to copy the same point 90-100 times. I found a similar issue being discussed with RND, and it looks like a change to one of the Microsoft SQL stored procedures is the culprit.”

A big THANKS to Veeam Support for fixing the problem!

Great to hear Support fixed it for you.  👍🏼

Userlevel 2

A new issue just discovered last week is the ability to recover physical servers that were backed up with the Windows Agent - and recover VM servers backed up with the Windows Agent FAIL when trying to recover.  

The issue appears to surround the “Create Recovery Media” ISO.  If generated under V12.1 the ISO will not allow the restore - it fails.  But finding an ISO generated in V12 works fine for recovery.

We have a case open with Veeam….waiting for an answer.

Comment