Solved

Veeam UI Capacity Labels

• 2 November 2023
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 1

Hello. The question concerns the display of repository capacity in the Veeam user interface:

In the EMC DD console, the capacity is displayed in TiB and is equal to 166.7 TiB. In the Veeam UI, after adding EMC DD as a repository, the same capacity is displayed, but with the TB label.

If the size of repository is displayed in TB, then it should be approximately 182.5 TB.

Is this a Veeam UI error?

icon

Best answer by Egor Yakovlev 6 November 2023, 14:00

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It may or may not be an error. I haven’t seen/heard/read anything on it myself. This may be a question for the Product Managers in the forums. If it is a ‘bug’ of sorts, they can address it. You could also submit this potential bug to Support and, if they don’t have an answer directly, they can submit a bug report as well.

The other alternative is this is displayed as designed, showing what DD shows, but Veeam just using TB instead of TiB for a more ‘friendly’ UI, although yes...the 2 are inherently different sizes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

There was an internal discussion a while ago and I think the confusion comes from the fact that in the VBR UI, while always displaying “TB” in the labels, (some?) sizes are actually in TiB.

It probably has to do with the way the storage system reports values to us… for example Windows systems (which use TB by default) are displayed correctly, while some object storage solutions and dedupe appliances (that report values in TiB) are not. Maybe we just take those values “assuming” they are in TB… maybe @Egor Yakovlev can confirm?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @support.vs,

in all my previous experiences I’ve notice about this different labeling. 

So I spoke with a DELL expert about this. His explanation was: 

in raw storage (with linux based FS) all measures are in Kib, MiB, GiB, TiB, instead (as wrote @DChiavari) in Windows systems are measured in Kb, MB, GB and TB. 

so you can start with this assumption: basic measure in storage is Kib. 

If you use DDOS CLI and type this command

fs sh sp (filesystem show space is complete command) you can see size in MiB.  

Veeam Show you sizing in TB and, from you point of view, YES is an UI error. But this error is due to how the data is interpreted on the Windows FS. Number is correct and unit of measure is wrong. 

Considering the conversion from TiB to TB is 1.1 you can estimate the differences.

My 2 cents. 

Badge +1

There was an internal discussion a while ago and I think the confusion comes from the fact that in the VBR UI, while always displaying “TB” in the labels, (some?) sizes are actually in TiB.

It probably has to do with the way the storage system reports values to us… for example Windows systems (which use TB by default) are displayed correctly, while some object storage solutions and dedupe appliances (that report values in TiB) are not. Maybe we just take those values “assuming” they are in TB… maybe @Egor Yakovlev can confirm?

Exactly as it is. We do calculate everything in the core using binary measurement, however UI is always representing results in metric style. It is a 17 years old behavior that we are aware and have plans to fix...sometime in the future.

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone.

Thank you for the detailed answers that helped me understand the situation. 
As an addition, I provide information about a similar situation with StoreOnce Device - In the StoreOnce Web UI the capacity is displayed in TiB, Veeam UI the same capacity is displayed, but with the TB label.

With this, I consider my question solved.

Comment