Solved

Veeam Support response time

Userlevel 4

Hi, 

My last 2 cases are not going smooth with the Veeam support.

My first case was regarding this topic and I did finally solved it myself. Then I get respons with the question how I did solved it!

My new case posted 1st of aug is still in status new. Is it really because of the holidays, or are there under-staffed? I know, the severity is low, as it is not urgent, but normally I get a respons faster.

The question I did ask them:

My Veeam server is on a seperated VLAN, other than my ESXi servers. My storage is DirectSAN accessible. Only If I use Instant Recovery or SureBackup, the NFS mount to backup repository (local storage on server) is going over the Firewall, and I want to prevent that. So I did create on my ESXi another kernel adapter in the same lan of Veeam and yes, the connection with NFS running trough that kernel and the mount is successfully, I can even browse, but Veeam referring in the job to the NFS via FQDN what is on another IP and therefore fails as the ESXi is communicate with my new VMKernel adapter and not on Management interface where the FQDN is refers.

The error is

NFC storage connection is unavailable. Storage: [stg:datastore-1032,nfchost:host-1014,conn:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.local]. Storage display name: [VeeamBackup_xxxxxxxxxxx].

Failed to create NFC download stream. NFC path: [nfc://conn:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.local,nfchost:host-1014,stg:datastore-1032@SRVNAME_4987d0b17f2045d9aa651bd4045f0d9c/SRVNAME.vmx]

Anyone having the same issue once and did find a solution?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 10 August 2023, 10:54

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, are you using Community Edition? If so it’s best effort for any cases. If it’s a paid support, you should get a response within 24 business hours for the lowest priority case on the lowest support package, but if you’re on a different support tier then your support SLA should be higher. https://www.veeam.com/support-policy.html
If they have violated the SLA, could use the talk to a manager button within the portal to get some attention to your ticket in case it has fallen through the cracks!

Which version of ESXi are you using? I’m guessing 7.x or 8.x with a backup NFC interface is how your backups are operating currently? If so you could edit your hosts file to target the desired IP of your ESXi server. I don’t know if preferred networks would enumerate the ESXi kernel adapters to reach a preferred interface, could try that…

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Preferred network should do the trick.

I would like to have a draw or better explanation of your network design, its hard to see.

If you want your Veeam B&R Server to talk directly with the ESXi Server, they must be visible each other,

if you want to avoid communication through the firewall, another option would be to add a nic to the veeam server, in the same vlan as the esxi host you want to target, and define in the preferred network config at veeam console this new nic IP range.

Is your veeam server physical or virtual?

cheers.

Userlevel 4

Hi, I will look into the support SLA, I have a basic support.

I’m running ESXi version 7. I don’t want the communication from Veeam to ESXi running trough the other kernel, only the NFS mount traffic. So changing FQDN on DNS or Host is not an option.

The backup itself runs smoothly and do not use NFS, as the connection is DirectSAN. Only for restore purpose I need the mounting NFS.

Veeam server is a physical server.

I prefer to keep the Veeam server seperated from the ESXi, only for NFS it should take the other VMKernel adapter where no management is enabled. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 4

Preferred network should do the trick.

I would like to have a draw or better explanation of your network design, its hard to see.

If you want your Veeam B&R Server to talk directly with the ESXi Server, they must be visible each other,

if you want to avoid communication through the firewall, another option would be to add a nic to the veeam server, in the same vlan as the esxi host you want to target, and define in the preferred network config at veeam console this new nic IP range.

Is your veeam server physical or virtual?

cheers.

Hi, in preferred networks my LAN of my Veeam server is listed.

Does this helps?

Userlevel 4

Hi, as heads-up,

My request seems not to be possible, referring from Veeam Support.

Adding the server with the IP of the new VMKernel and restore to that is the only solution, but I loose my vCenter centralisation comfort, so I have to live with it :)

Thanks all for the efforts!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

Here’s an idea for something that might be possible.

Keep your FQDN/IP of your ESXi hosts as normal. But create a second FQDN that targets the recovery NIC IP address you want to.

You won’t target any backup jobs at this ESXi host etc, but when you do your Instant Recovery etc instead of doing to original host, you choose your secondary ‘recovery’ ESXi host.

This might be possible for you 😊 and it won’t break anything if you try it at least! As you can just remove the standalone ESXi host again.

Userlevel 4

Hi,

Here’s an idea for something that might be possible.

Keep your FQDN/IP of your ESXi hosts as normal. But create a second FQDN that targets the recovery NIC IP address you want to.

You won’t target any backup jobs at this ESXi host etc, but when you do your Instant Recovery etc instead of doing to original host, you choose your secondary ‘recovery’ ESXi host.

This might be possible for you 😊 and it won’t break anything if you try it at least! As you can just remove the standalone ESXi host again.

That’s indeed the only working solution, so in case of manual tests, it works perfectly. Only with automatic SureBackup I have the same issue, as I do not want the Virtual Lab reffers to the ESXi, as I do have less options (VM folders for exampe).

Comment