Question

Veeam Recovery Media ISO bug

Userlevel 1

I created a “VeeamRecoveryMedia.iso” with Veeam Agent Free for Windows v6.1.0.349,

and copied it to my “Ventoy” ssd external usb case.

I have a bug in UEFI mode: unable to press any key when prompted, and finally fall backs to the Ventoy menu.

(Boots fine in BIOS mode but useless cause of legacy BIOS boot with GPT image to recover)

What to do ?

16 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @redscreen -

Not heard of that before. If you're using Windows 2022, there is a known issue creating recovery media from it. You can create it on a lesser server OS (2019, 2016). If using Windows desktop, I don't recall issues on those platforms....maybe Win11? You can contact Veeam Support to report the bug you've experienced. 

Userlevel 1

I created the ISO on Windows 10 desktop Pro (not on Windows Server 2022).

Something wrong with the ISO cause I also tried to flash an other empty usb stick with “Rufus” with no success (Rufus crash).

Is there Veeam Support for an individual Free Version User ? (Don’t find it)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, there is Support, but it's 'best effort'.

Userlevel 1

Thank’s, but ask for a professional email I haven’t...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yeah...they do tend for you to at least have some kind of work email address, even if you are using the product at home. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The only other option I can suggest is to post a possible bug in the Veeam Forum. Product Managers tend to view posts there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Maybe also just try a different usb device to put your media on just to see if the behavior is specific to the ventoy device? 

Userlevel 1

thank’s again, but same professional email problem...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@redscreen - didn’t see your further comment above there where you said something may be wrong with ISO cuz Rufus crashed. Can you recreate recovery media anywhere else, like on another windows machine? Can you attempt it using a different USB? Attempt to download the specific driver for the keyboard and have it ready? Do you at least have mouse control..or, do you not have mouse or keyboard control?

Userlevel 1

I am currently doing tests...

Will try to recreate another ISO in a VM with same W10Desktop.

Already try 2 different usb stick with Rufus (unable to flash in GPT/UEFI mode )

Same problem here with another soft and Ventoy : https://forums.ventoy.net/showthread.php?tid=1951

Press any key do nothing, (not yet mouse at this level)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok. 

So no mouse or keyboard?...hmm...seems like a driver issue within UEFI. 

Userlevel 1

As this point ( Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ) we can’t know if the mouse is active or not.

I just recreated the ISO in a VirtualBox VM ( this time I uncheck : include network connections setting & include hardware drivers from this computer )

And this one is OK !!!

The new .ISO is 612MB ( strange, the old one was 596MB with included drivers )

I'm wondering now if this won't be a problem if the new ISO was done on another PC ? (without checking the 2 boxes).

My .vbk backup is well thought out includes all the drivers (1:1 copy ?...)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah, ok...pre-mouse functionality area..understood.

Nice! Glad we figured out a way to get it working. 

Hmm..not sure @redscreen ...obviously the only way to know is test. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The only other option I can suggest is to post a possible bug in the Veeam Forum. Product Managers tend to view posts there. 

Free users open support cases from within the agent. A professional mail address should not required for this option:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/support_report.html?ver=60

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Good to know. Thanks Fabian. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @redscreen - do you still have questions? I gave you a workaround suggesting to create recovery media on a different machine (like a VM) and it seemed to work. But, it would also be good to submit something to support within the Agent Control Panel so they can verify the bug you seemed to have found.

Do you have any other questions? If so, don’t hesitate to ask. If any of the comments helped you out, we ask you select one as ‘Best Answer’ so others who come across your post with a similar issue may benefit.

Thank you.

Comment