Question

Veeam Recovery Media fails to boot with Server 2022 on AMD Server HPE DL345

Userlevel 1

Hello.

I have an issue with booting from Recovery Media created with Windows Free Agent V6.

The Server HPE DL345 GEn11 is running Windows Server 2022.

When i try to boot from ILO Boot starts. I get the message Press any Key to boot. Than it immdiately switchs back to BIOS boot settings.

Same Problem with booting from RUFUS Stick.

On DL380 Gen10 with Intel CPU it works fine.

Booting from Server 2022 ISO is working on the AMD EPYC is working fine.

I created the Recovery Image twice. And added the USED Drivers as otopnal drivers too.

No Changes.

Booting the AMD from a different WRONG Recovery Image (Z2 Workstation) boots “Press any key to start ...) and freezes the Server at once.

Any ideas?

Greetings from Germany.

11 comments

Userlevel 1

Can anyone explain, how i can edit my own original Question. I would like to remove some missspellings and add some Updates:

Updates:
I said i testeted with Rufus. In fact it was a Test with Ventoy, which works fine for me in most other cases.

Copying the Veeam Image with Rufus 4.2 to a new 32 GB USB Stick solved the problem. The stick boots. So RUFUS seems to modify the image.

BTW: Original .ISO will not boot in virtual enviroments too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

So did you solve the issue?  Also are you using V6 of the agent to create the ISO?

If not try creating the recovery image from a lower version OS as there were issues with the latest ones and I am sure the next update will work.

Userlevel 1

So did you solve the issue?  Also are you using V6 of the agent to create the ISO?

If not try creating the recovery image from a lower version OS as there were issues with the latest ones and I am sure the next update will work.

The problem is solved to 50%. There is a solution, but the solution is somehow bad.

The VEEAM Recovery Image ISO is created by the server. The server is freshly installed with OS 2022. I will not go back to 2016 just to create a recovery  ISO.

The ISO seems to be somehow to be non standard. It will not boot from ILO nor from Ventoy Stick, NOR as VM.

Copying to USB stick with Rufus 4.2 works. So Rufus seems to modify something within EFI.

Recovery fires up. Network adapters are functioning. So what could go wrong :-)

Converting this stick back to ISO with Imageburn did not do the trick for me. 

Booting from ISO still fails.
I need a working ISO boot, because in case of emergency the server will be recovered using ILO Adapter from Remote.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No need to revert from 2022 to 2016 just use an existing 2019/2016 server to create the ISO that is what I was referring to.  Hopefully you get it fully solved.

Userlevel 1

Server DL345 Gen11 type is brand new from the factory and has lots off compoents i never used before. MR Controller, Broadcom NICs, AMD Chipset …
So i am afraid i have to create the ISO with this server to have the needed drivers embeded.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Server DL345 Gen11 type is brand new from the factory and has lots off compoents i never used before. MR Controller, Broadcom NICs, AMD Chipset …
So i am afraid i have to create the ISO with this server to have the needed drivers embeded.

Makes sense. Hopefully the next update to the Agent addresses this issue with Win2022.

Userlevel 1

Other idea is to install the community edition in latet build in a vm and create recovery image in community edition.
Is this worth a try, cause agent from community edition seems to have a slightly higer build than the pure Veeam Free Windows Agent which is 6.0.2.1090 at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Other idea is to install the community edition in latet build in a vm and create recovery image in community edition.
Is this worth a try, cause agent from community edition seems to have a slightly higer build than the pure Veeam Free Windows Agent which is 6.0.2.1090 at the moment.

Might be worth trying to see.

Userlevel 1

Just checked it.

Latest Veeam Community Version rolls out identical Windows client and identical ISO Creation Tool.

I do not think that using this way willl be a game changer.

Userlevel 1

Same problem for me :

Create a “VeeamRecoveryMedia.iso” with Veeam Agent Free for Windows v6.1.0.349,

and copy it to my “Ventoy” ssd usb external case

In UEFI mode : Unable to press a Key when prompt to, and finally goes back to Ventoy menu.

( Boots well in BIOS mode but useless cause of BIOS legacy boot with GPT image to recover )

What to do ?

Userlevel 1

Also try to flash “VeeamRecoveryMedia.iso” with “Rufus” on an other empty usb stick but Rufus crash (close itself without error message)

Comment