Solved

Veeam & Netapp integration / iSCSI integration /

Userlevel 4

Hi,

backup server is running 2x10Gbps NICs and it is in VLAN with Netapp iSCSI AFF device. I have also 1Gbps network card for management purpose.  Also these two network cards are in trunk so they are doing 20Gbps now (at least I think they are doing it :-) )

Integration between Netapp and Veeam is configured using management ports of the Netapp which is in different VLAN reachable by this 1Gb NIC from backup server. 

So, I can see snapshots on Netapp but backup is being done slow (probably using 1Gb NIC). How to force Veeam to use these 10Gbps NICs instead of 1Gbps NIC? Is there a KB for this integration to read how to setup this?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 24 December 2023, 02:35

View original

32 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @imadam -

I am just following up here on your post to see if any of the provided comments helped you with your Netapp storage BfSS configuration? If any of them helped, we ask you mark one as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar question/issue/query may benefit from your post. If you still have questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Thank you.

Userlevel 4

@coolsport00 hi there. There is no best answer to be honest with you or all the answers are best. We were navigating over muddy waters. We managed to cover almost everything except to push traffic over wanted networks card. Veeam has here really poor management over this. Actually it doesn’t work. 
If I get some more time in next few days, I will open ticket and have Veeam to sort it out. I don’t want to loose time over that. 

Other then that, Veeam and Netapp needs to improve their integrations guides with some more details and use scenarios (there are a lof of nfs/cifs/iscsi implementations out there with multiple nic cards). I will pick one of the answers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @imadam - thanks for the update. Well...sorry we weren’t able to get you to point you were hoping with your setup. Really surprised the traffic isn’t traversing over the 10Gb NICs. Yeah..I think reaching out to Veeam Support will get you sorted. They should be able to help finalize where we weren’t able to, or whatever it was we missed.

If you think about it, would be curious to hear what they say and what they did to get you going like you’re wanting.

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@coolsport00 hi there. There is no best answer to be honest with you or all the answers are best. We were navigating over muddy waters. We managed to cover almost everything except to push traffic over wanted networks card. Veeam has here really poor management over this. Actually it doesn’t work. 
If I get some more time in next few days, I will open ticket and have Veeam to sort it out. I don’t want to loose time over that. 

Other then that, Veeam and Netapp needs to improve their integrations guides with some more details and use scenarios (there are a lof of nfs/cifs/iscsi implementations out there with multiple nic cards). I will pick one of the answers. 

BTW...back in the day (6-7yrs ago?) when I was working on getting my Proxies to do DirectSAN, I had a trying time there, as there wasn’t really much documentation on how to explicitly do so, so I do get your frustration. Thankfully, I found a HPE SE (I use Nimble) who wrote a white paper on the process and I was able to get it set up. 

Userlevel 4

Hi @imadam - thanks for the update. Well...sorry we weren’t able to get you to point you were hoping with your setup. Really surprised the traffic isn’t traversing over the 10Gb NICs. Yeah..I think reaching out to Veeam Support will get you sorted. They should be able to help finalize where we weren’t able to, or whatever it was we missed.

If you think about it, would be curious to hear what they say and what they did to get you going like you’re wanting.

Cheers.

We managed to push it over 10G NIC but we are not Ok how this is working. I had to shutdown 1Gb nics in order to have this traffic going onver 10Gb.

Userlevel 4

BTW...back in the day (6-7yrs ago?) when I was working on getting my Proxies to do DirectSAN, I had a trying time there, as there wasn’t really much documentation on how to explicitly do so, so I do get your frustration. Thankfully, I found a HPE SE (I use Nimble) who wrote a white paper on the process and I was able to get it set up. 

Better documentation from Veeam+Netapp should be in place. What they have maybe it is Ok from their perspective when you are working day-in/day-out with same stuff but for other people doing this like once or twice a month with all other vendors what comes to your way, it time consuming. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @imadam - thanks for the update. Well...sorry we weren’t able to get you to point you were hoping with your setup. Really surprised the traffic isn’t traversing over the 10Gb NICs. Yeah..I think reaching out to Veeam Support will get you sorted. They should be able to help finalize where we weren’t able to, or whatever it was we missed.

Cheers.

We managed to push it over 10G NIC but we are not Ok how this is working. I had to shutdown 1Gb nics in order to have this traffic going onver 10Gb.

That is typically how you have to have it work when it comes to networking and storage.

Comment