Skip to main content
Solved

Veeam licensing for DR scenarios

We have two DCs running VMware clusters that have independent vcenters managing each of the clusters. A instance of Veeam B&R instance is proposed to be deployed in each DC to backup the local clusters. IN addition, there will be replication of some of the VMs across the DCs using Veeam B&R instance. Multiple packs of Veeam VUL licenses have been procured for all the VMs in both clusters. Need to understand on how we should be splitting the licenses across the two instances and the impact of VMs being replicated on the license consumption.

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

You can do 1 of 2 things @sudhir_h . You can install VBR in each site, then install Enterprise Manager say in your main/CO site, and use EM for your licensing. EM will then disperse licenses to each VBR server based on usage. You can read more about it here:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/em/managing_licenses.html?ver=120

The other way is to manage licenses on each VBR server and do so based on the instances you need to backup.

Hope that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I would recommend one deployment of VBR to manage both datacenters because of the replication piece.  Reason being, if you’re replicating VM’s from one site to another with one instance, I personally would rather that those VM’s not be touched by two instances, one for backups and one for replica’s.  I’m afraid I don’t know enough about enterprise manager to know how it would manage something like this where two VBR instances would cross paths.  It for sure would be helpful for managing the licenses as Shane mentioned, but from a functional standpoint, I’m not sure I’d want to utilize this route if possible to avoid it.

What I personally would do is have a proxy server/repository server at each site, place VBR at the recovery site, and have it orchestrate all operations from there.

Userlevel 3

Just to add that replications will be happening both ways, some VMs from DC1 to DC2 and some from Dc2 to DC1

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I disagree with you Derek on having 1 VBR server. It is Veeam best practice to have a VBR server at a 2nd site for Replication. Since the poster is doing bi-directional Replication, 1 at each site would be recommended. And, I agree with the best practice, in case 1 site goes down, you have the 2nd VBR server ready to go to perform recovery.

I understand what you’re saying about multiple VBR servers touching VMs, but it causes no issues. I’ve been doing this for a few years now. And, I don’t run my Replica jobs as often as my Backups...for obvious reasons (local Backups retention points are more important).

But, I do agree, and it really is needed, to have Proxies at each site for best performance. Hopefully the connection is good so Replication jobs can be ran in “direct” mode.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I would have to agree with Shane here on setting up multiple VBRs and using VEM for license management.  If you go with one VBR server what happens if that goes down then what do you do with replication and getting things going in the DR site?  As it was noted BP is to have a VBR in each site just for this case.  Best of luck with your project.

Userlevel 3

Thank you Shane, Derek and Chris.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Glad to assist @sudhir_h 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Happy to have helped.

Comment