Question

Veeam for M365 OneNote Backup Fails with 'changed during the backup'

Userlevel 1

This is in regard to Veeam for Microsoft 365. Starting in June, Veeam for Microsoft 365 can no longer backup OneNote files (extension is .one) on the first attempt, but succeeds on the second. The reason is always "Item has been changed during the backup." I’m not seeing this with any other Microsoft Office type of document. The backup is through iLand/11:11 - I opened a ticket with their support and they're working with Veeam, however no luck so far. I can confirm the OneNote notebooks were open during the time of the backup, however this has never been an issue, where now we see it almost every day. As this is only .one files, I suspect a change was made to OneNote by Microsoft, or perhaps in the underlying database infrastructure of Microsoft 365. I'm willing to say the problem is in our tenant, but I can't imagine what change we made that would only affect .one files.

Any help is appreciated. 

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry I can’t help directly @SupportEngineer32 . But, what I do suggest is pinging the Product Manager in the forums. You already created a Support ticket, so just provide that & see if they’re aware of this issue you’re having and, if there is a fix for it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Sorry I can’t help directly @SupportEngineer32 . But, what I do suggest is pinging the Product Manager in the forums. You already created a Support ticket, so just provide that & see if they’re aware of this issue you’re having and, if there is a fix for it.

@SupportEngineer32 has an open ticket with iLand. Veeam doesn‘t have any access to iLand internal ticket system.

I would say it makes more sense that iLand reaches out directly to us if the veeam support case of iLand doesn‘t bring a fast solution. Only the service provider is eligible for support cases with Veeam, not the tenant which uses the rental license.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I misread his post...apologies!

Hi, we are facing similar issues.
Is there already a solution available?

Userlevel 1

Hi, we are facing similar issues.
Is there already a solution available?

Hello, no resolution, I’m afraid. I posted a similar topic on Reddit and others are replying to that post stating they’re seeing it as well. It’s hitting a few, but not enough, I suppose. The upside is that although the backup fails, it’s successful on the retry. 

Hello all,
I have a lot of warnings on many sites like "****-my.sharepoint.com" with the following message :
[Warning] Processing site https://xxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/col-11christophstefan finished with warning: Failed to process item: /sites/col-11christophstefan/SiteAssets/1-1 Christoph-Stefan Notebook/Bilas.one. Item has been changed during the backup;"22.11.2023 22:14:02";"22.11.2023 22:16:04"
Somebody know what it means please and how to correct this ?

Hi everyone,

For about 2 weeks, i have have many warning messages about this message on Office Files on OneDrive and Sahrepoint

Failed to process item  … Item has been changed during the backup

Is there any one who see this strange behavior ?

Thanks in advanced.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Veeam released the CU (P20240123 (7.1.0.1501) last week. It fixed some issues, but I am not sure it will fix this issue. It’s worth trying, and let us know.

https://www.veeam.com/kb4533?ad=in-text-link

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Veeam released the CU (P20240123 (7.1.0.1501) last week. It fixed some issues, but I am not sure it will fix this issue. It’s worth trying, and let us know.

https://www.veeam.com/kb4533?ad=in-text-link

That was my thought as well @CarySun 

Hi,

Installed new version but same issue with Office file, item has been changed during backup.

Opened a case with support but no success and no solution.

Hundred of files growing each day with this problem.

For OneNotes files it seems to disappeared.

Comment