Solved

Veeam BR - Backup Proxy / WAN Accelerators

• 22 August 2023
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello,

I would like to get our backups to be efficient as much as they can be.

Current situation in production is that we are sending our backups to Synology SMB share on main site, and over WAN Accelerator to our secondary site also to Synology SMB share using Backup Copy Job (immediate copying).

Currently I’m testing iSCSI on main site. I created Synology LUN and connected it to the VBR server via iSCSI with ReFS and configured Synthetical Full because of the FastClone option. Need more time to see how it will perform.

Now the question is where to implement Backup Proxies and how to use it in our case.
I know that best option would be to have physical server’s both on primary and secondary location.
How it will benefit our sitaution?

And another question is do we need to configure iSCSI also for Backup Copy Jobs or it is okay to have it via SMB and WAN Accelerator from the Main site to Secondary Site.

Best Regards 

icon

Best answer by Link State 22 August 2023, 13:14

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

hi @NemanjaJanicic 

• Proxy servers must be in both source-target sites, I personally use virtual proxy\WANs.
  • backup repositories in ISCSI are performant it also depends if you have a 10G network and internet bandwidth between the two sites.
  • I recommend reading the documentation for both CIFS and NFS repo backups.
  • An NFS share is more performant.
  • I recommend Backup repositories in ISCSI.

I enclose useful links for your requirements.
regards

SMB (CIFS) Share - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

NFS Share - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

this topic can help.

WAN Accellerator sizing & WAN Low bandwidth mode vs WAN High bandwidth mode! | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello @Link State,

How would you recommend configuring Backup Proxy?
Didn’t get my hands on configuring that until now. I only configured the Gateway server for the remote site. Don’t know what are the imporant configurations for it and also which prerequisites. 

1. We have a 1GB network connection, only our interconnection between Switches in Stack is 10G.
  2. How would you recommend using iSCSI? I plan to create a VM and then connect iSCSI to it and connect that server to VBR as a Backup repository. I mounted it as ReFS and use 64KB.

Thank you for the link’s,
Best Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

HI @NemanjaJanicic 

It depends on which type of design\technology you intend to use for the backup repository.

I personally do not recommend SMB\CIFS, low performance and not very secure.

At this point, I prefer NFS, better performance and more security.

However for the role of backup repository I prefer to use FC or ISCSI, formatted in ReFS 64k for block cloning (fasclone). I also install the proxy role on the backup repo.
If you have computing power, install in WAN acc on a separate virtual machine and check the prerequisites in the WAN-related links I attached.

I enclose my step by step guide of a VBR infrastructure on my own with ISCSI congfiguration on Vmware technology.

VBR v11 - Step by step: Installation & Configuration Best Practices - PART 1 | Veeam Community Resource Hub

VBR v11 - Step by step: Installation & Configuration Best Practices - PART 2 | Veeam Community Resource Hub

regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thank you for providing all the links.

My infrastructure is based on Hyper-V, but I can see good explanations on your link also.

I will switch to iSCSI. 
I just need to check what would be the best option.
Backup Proxy’s, Gateways Servers and WAN accelerators are the confusing part but I will manage it somehow

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You are welcome,

If you use smb you must configure a gateway server as a prerequisite.

SMB (CIFS) Share - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

If you use a backup repo in ISCSI you do not need it.

Microsoft Windows Server - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

you should use this project to transfer your primary backups to the second site via backuop copy jobs.https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/backup_copying_process.html?ver=120

another very important aspect to comply with the 3-2-1-0 rule 
https://www.veeam.com/blog/321-backup-rule.html

There should be 3 copies of the data
On 2 different media
With 1 off-site copy
With 1 offline, air-gapped or immutable copy.
And 0 errors with SureBackup recovery verification.

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

hello @NemanjaJanicic  
I enclose the design as requested in private.
please let me know if it is comprehensive.

regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Link State Thank you for all the support you are giving me today. 🙂

Only thing that is confusing to me is The proxy role on primary and secondary site.
What is the use of it and where to configured them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@NemanjaJanicic  It must always be installed, it is vital for the transport of data 'datamover' and its optimisation in the transfer.

VMware Backup Proxies - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Link State At the moment I have:

How the scenario will go for Primary site backups, and how it will go to Secondary site backups.

Off-host proxy, On-host proxy.

I know that for site to site we use WAN accelerators as u designed it already.

For Backup Copy Jobs from site to site I know that there is no configuration for Proxy use, only for WAN Accelerators. 

For Backup Repostiroy there is only an Gateway Server choice and for iSCSI storage there is nothing about Proxy or Gateway servers.

That is the confusing part.
You will get headache from me 😁

Comment