Solved

veeam backup repo format

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey guys, I require your suggestion

If I have stored backups in local repo in NTFS format and later realized it should be in refs, what should be the next step?

Should I format the current repo into Refs or I add another repo of Refs and move the backups?

icon

Best answer by Mildur 24 March 2022, 07:38

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Anandu 

If you can, format the repository and start over.

If not, and you want to keep the old backups, move the files and remap the Job with the files at the new location.
You have to create an active full (or backup file compact operation) to use the Veeam FastClone feature.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

riformatta refs 64k e rilancia i backup da zero.

reformat refs 64k and relaunch backups from scratch.

or do as recommended by @Mildur 

check: How to confirm we have an ReFS partition

VBR v11 - Step by step: Installation & Configuration Best Practices - PART 1 | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

riformatta refs 64k e rilancia i backup da zero.

@Link State 

Please in English, in the public forums :) 

Using another language is allowed in the user groups.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Only thing to add here is you’ll need at least Windows Server 2016 on the repository (2019/2022 strongly recommended) for fast clone. If you only have Windows Server 2016 available and this is a dedicated repository server (no additional roles such as proxy or VBR installed) you could leverage XFS and hardened repository for immutability as well. I only mention this as you don’t want to be remaking your repository again in 6 months time!

In v12 the option will exist to migrate AND reprocess backups into ReFS for fast clone based savings. Migrating existing backups will yield no benefits as mentioned by both @Mildur & @Link State.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Only thing to add here is you’ll need at least Windows Server 2016 on the repository (2019/2022 strongly recommended) for fast clone. If you only have Windows Server 2016 available and this is a dedicated repository server (no additional roles such as proxy or VBR installed) you could leverage XFS and hardened repository for immutability as well. I only mention this as you don’t want to be remaking your repository again in 6 months time!

In v12 the option will exist to migrate AND reprocess backups into ReFS for fast clone based savings. Migrating existing backups will yield no benefits as mentioned by both @Mildur & @Link State.

Yes this is important as well if you can have Windows 2019/2022 it is better for the newer ReFS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is there a secure way to update ReFS from 2016 to 2019 (or 2022) in the meantime?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is there a secure way to update ReFS from 2016 to 2019 (or 2022) in the meantime?

I know you can upgrade the OS but might hit the bug with the ReFS.  I know it is highly suggested to clean install especially 2022.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@JMeixner  O.S. upgrade (MS) 😵 in place is a bad idea m8 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I know you can upgrade the OS but might hit the bug with the ReFS.  I know it is highly suggested to clean install especially 2022.

Mhh, ok… but then I loose all ReFS savings in the repo, right? Hopefully MS will manage to get the update working...

Comment