Skip to main content
Question

Veeam 12.1 - move from two Veeam servers to one

Hi, I have a customer where we are moving them from two veeam servers to one. 

From a server and proxy perspective I can delete and then add them to the new primary Veeam server however I was just wondering about jobs/backup copies etc and if there’s a way to migrate over.

Any suggestions on config migration options, tips and tricks will be welcome.

thanks

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @MavMikeVBR -

Sadly, there really is no clean automated way to do what you want. Config DB migration is the way to go, but that's only for 1 to 1 migration.

And also sadly, Veeam doesn't have a way to at the very least, export Jobs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I would use config backup to migrate the biggest server over and then have the second one console open and recreate those jobs manually.  As noted you cannot do two to one.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

what maybe helps, i tested this 1-2 versions ago is mapping backup files from another backup server and this worked. So if there is enough space for additional new full backups, do this it’s easier.
If you need to remap, i tested this once and this worked.
The scenario was the same merging two servers into one.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi @MavMikeVBR , don’t know how many jobs do you have - i would go the way like Shane and Chris mentioned.

From my side, i create for our customers beside a detailed Word/PDF documents (about the concept etc), an Excel sheet with many settings (also  who are differ from the default.

Example attached.

Maybe this would help you to re-configure the settings step-by-step of the second VBR configuration.

Maybe not the best way, but from here, i can see every detai, in the individual job configuration. From the timestamp of it’s configuration. Also i brief my customers to update these…

There are several Scripts in the R&D or on some blogs, but as i see, most of them are from old versions and deprecated - hope there will be an Job-Export feature in the near future.

best regards Markus

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

thanks guys, good advice.

I think its best that I get all jobs into a spreadsheet, move proxies over one by one, add devices where I can then remove the veeam server before bring it in as a new proxy.

Once I have the devices configured in the single veeam server, I can then rescan those repos to bring in the history….

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I think its best that I get all jobs into a spreadsheet, move proxies over one by one, add devices where I can then remove the veeam server before bring it in as a new proxy.

Once I have the devices configured in the single veeam server, I can then rescan those repos to bring in the history….

That sounds like a good plan. Best of luck and once you are done be sure to come back and update the thread with the best answer that helped you work things out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Yep...about all you can do Mike. As I had to do something like this (move to a new server), but I didn’t want to full-on do a config DB migration...I documented all my Job settings for future use as well.

Best.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MavMikeVBR

If your customer uses only vSphere backup jobs, you can use our backup server API to granularly export and import configurations:

Veeam Backup & Replication REST API Reference

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@MavMikeVBR

If your customer uses only vSphere backup jobs, you can use our backup server API to granularly export and import configurations:

Veeam Backup & Replication REST API Reference

Best,

Fabian

Forgot about this option. Great call out here and I would definitely check this out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

VeeamONE  has some great reporting tools on jobs and settings as well that I use to export that info.

You can also use PowerShell to extract a lot of information in relation to the jobs and settings. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

VeeamONE  has some great reporting tools on jobs and settings as well that I use to export that info.

You can also use PowerShell to extract a lot of information in relation to the jobs and settings. 

Ah yes who cam forget VONE or PS for this too. Good shoutout Scott.  👍

Comment