Skip to main content

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to share that Veeam now claims compatibility support of VMware vSphere 8.0.3 in the latest version of Veeam Backup & Replication V12.1.2.172.

Please be aware of a couple of important limitations:

Backup jobs including vCLS VMs: Due to changes in vSphere 8.0.3, backup jobs that include vCLS VMs (typically when using vSphere Cluster or ESXi Server scope) may fail. As a temporary solution, you can manually exclude these VMs from your backup jobs or utilize Global VM exclusions.  Veeam is aware of this issue and plans to address it in the upcoming V12.2 update.

NSX-T 4.2.0 support: At this time, we have not been able to test and confirm support for NSX-T 4.2.0 due to Broadcom's current unavailability of the software for backup partners. We are actively working with Broadcom to resolve this and will provide updates as soon as possible.

For more details, please refer to the following KB Articles:

Veeam Backup & Replication support for VMware vSphere
https://www.veeam.com/kb2443

Veeam Backup & Replication 12.1.2 Compatibility with vSphere 8.0 U3
https://www.veeam.com/kb4641

Thanks for sharing this supportability update @andy.sturniolo . We’ve had a question or 2 on here about the vCLS VM issue. But, as it was ir: an (at the time) unsupported vSphere version, not much could be done aside from the suggestion you shared. Seems still is the case until a fix is created. Thanks!

That is definitely something to keep in mind using 8.0.3 for sure - thanks for sharing @andy.sturniolo 

We have not reached v8 as yet and my hope is that when we do we have a Veeam release that supports 8U3 out by then.  Lots of planning to do for the upgrade anyway.

We also would not back up those VMs as well since they can be deployed very easily if something happened.  Also having file level vCenter backups allows you to restore configurations and no need to back that up either now.

That is definitely something to keep in mind using 8.0.3 for sure - thanks for sharing @andy.sturniolo 

We have not reached v8 as yet and my hope is that when we do we have a Veeam release that supports 8U3 out by then.  Lots of planning to do for the upgrade anyway.

We also would not back up those VMs as well since they can be deployed very easily if something happened.  Also having file level vCenter backups allows you to restore configurations and no need to back that up either now.

Correct, vCLS VMs are managed by vCenter and are responsible for essential cluster functions like DRS. These VMs don't contain any data that needs protection. However, due to a recent change by VMware, vCLS VMs are now visible to Veeam as VMs that could be backed up. The upcoming V12.2 update will address this, ensuring that vCLS VMs no longer appear as backup candidates.

That is definitely something to keep in mind using 8.0.3 for sure - thanks for sharing @andy.sturniolo 

Correct, vCLS VMs are managed by vCenter and are responsible for essential cluster functions like DRS. These VMs don't contain any data that needs protection. However, due to a recent change by VMware, vCLS VMs are now visible to Veeam as VMs that could be backed up. The upcoming V12.2 update will address this, ensuring that vCLS VMs no longer appear as backup candidates.

Yes I know what they do as I deal with VMware on top of Veeam daily.  Looking forward to them fixing this in 12.2.

Thanks for sharing this information about the support. We told our customers who are already want to upgrade to 8.0u3 (or had this upgrade already installed and run into the well known issue) to work also with our general used vSphere tag „no-backup“ on the vCLS folder. 

I wouldn’t want to backup OR restore vCLS VM’s, but good to know. 

They are easy to rebuild if required.  I suppose if someone has decided to create a job based on folders and moved their vCLS VM’s this could happen.

Are minor versions of vshpere and esxi something to worry about? specifically, now that 8.0 U3b is out am I relatively safe to update to it knowing that 8.0 U3 is supported?

Are minor versions of vshpere and esxi something to worry about? specifically, now that 8.0 U3b is out am I relatively safe to update to it knowing that 8.0 U3 is supported?

VMware's minor releases (e.g., a, b, c, etc.) usually consist of bug fixes. From Veeam's perspective, we support these minor patches as they don't involve significant changes to the platform.

Comment