Skip to main content
Solved

VBO pricing

Hello,

As I know the VBO we will charge per users, how if I want to backup sharepoint only? The license still count per users, or per sharepoint site to be backup?

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi,

This page should hopefully answer all your questions around licensing:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo365/guide/vbo_licensing.html?ver=70

Have a read and let us know if you’ve got any further questions 🙂

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello @MicoolPaul 

Already read that article.

Let say i have 5 SharePoint sites and only accessed by 10 users and my total office365 user is 100.

Now i want VBO only to backup SharePoint, this mean i still purchase VBO for 100 users?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Simple rule.

The user has given access to the site (read/edit permission on SharePoint site) —> They must be licensed, even if they do not use the site. They still have access.
Remove all permissions for a user if you don‘t want to license that user in Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365.

https://www.veeam.com/backup-microsoft-office-365.html#what-counts-as-user

SharePoint Online or SharePoint On-Premises: Each SharePoint user inside your Microsoft 365 subscription (or on-premises deployment) that has been granted access to the SharePoint sites you are looking to protect needs to be licensed to back up and protect your organization’s SharePoint environment. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Noted, so i still need 100 users licenses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

As I understand this, if you set the site permission to restrict access only to the 10 users that will access the 5 sites to be backed up, per @Mildur, you should be able to license only those 10 users access the sites.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@hs08 - I wanted to circle back to your question to see if you received an answer or if one of the replies here answered your question.  If you can update the thread and mark the best answer if solved already or let us know where you are at if we can assist further it would be appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hello @MicoolPaul 

Already read that article.

Let say i have 5 SharePoint sites and only accessed by 10 users and my total office365 user is 100.

Now i want VBO only to backup SharePoint, this mean i still purchase VBO for 100 users?

I believe it depends on the type of 5 SharePoint sites. You will need 5 licenses if they are personal SharePoint sites, but you don’t need any licenses if they are Group or non-personal SharePoint sites.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I believe it depends on the type of 5 SharePoint sites. You will need licenses if they are personal SharePoint sites, but you don’t need licenses if they are Group or non-personal SharePoint sites.

No, users with access to non-personal sites have to be licensed in VB365.

Michael shared the helpcenter link which especially mentions that:

“All users in your Microsoft 365 subscription or on-premises deployment that are members of a backed-up team or have access to a backed-up team, communication, collaboration and other non-personal SharePoint sites must be licensed

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 5
Badge

hi @Mildur 

I have another queries.

I have 5 sites SharePoint and 100 M365 user, with this scenario i i must buy 100 users license.

Let say i already purchase 100 VBO license then in the further we add some users into M365 let say add 5 users, so total M365 users now is 150. What happen if we not buy another 50 VBO license? Still the SharePoint  protected?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You can exceed your current license by 10% or 20%. Which means 20 of the new user (Exchange, OneDrive) can be protected, others not. You need to buy additional licenses (by calling your regional Veeam reseller or Veeam sales contact).

Please check the user guide link below for the specifics.

Subscription License - Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Guide

Extra user accounts that go beyond the exceeded license limit are not processed. Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 displays a warning message to notify you that the license limit is exceeded.

Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 allows you to process extra user accounts according to the FIFO queue logic (that is, "first in — first out"). Extra accounts are queued for processing. Once the unconsumed license unit appears, the first extra user account from the queue obtains this license unit and will be backed up.

SharePoint jobs will continue to work with only 100 licenses, because our product doesn’t consume (technically) licenses for SharePoint backups. You need to be compliant with our license policy by having a license for each user, but it’s not technically enforced in the product. 

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Mildur 

So technically it’s no problem but not compliance with the license policy. Am i right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Correct.

Best,

Fabian

Comment