Solved

unable to use database as it was created with an earlier version

• 12 September 2022
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 2

Dear concern, we have one server where we had a previous version (9.5 U4b) of Veeam running for some tests on. However we’ve never really used it until now. That time veeam was removed from the system however it seems not completely. While trying to install version 11 on this particular server, we are now getting an error message, telling that usage of DB for VeeamBackup is not possible as it has been created with an older version of veeam. Indeed there are still two DB services running. What is the best way to get this clean as we will use this server to run as our B/R server in the future but of course on main latest. The goal is to have a clean installation of veeam 11 now in order to reduce future problems in case of any migration is necessary for a new version.

thanks and best regards Stephan

icon

Best answer by dloseke 12 September 2022, 20:47

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello, first of all thank’s for all your comments and proposals and sorry for my late response … Anyway, as the problem was on a Virtual Machine, I spent some time and executed what’s mentioned in the above. However it seems the situation with these rater old Veeam installation was even worse. Fortunately Veeam is keeping older SW stacks for download, which at this point saved my day. I reinstalled version 9.5 After this was done, I again installed Community Version 11 as an upgrade. The upgrade went through successfully, however the Veeam BR wouldn’t start as of  https://www.veeam.com/kb4204  After executing the workaround and a reboot (!!) of the virtual machine, Veeam is no running properly. Thanks again for your help and hints 

Great to hear you were able to get it working. 💪🏼

Userlevel 2

Hello, first of all thank’s for all your comments and proposals and sorry for my late response … Anyway, as the problem was on a Virtual Machine, I spent some time and executed what’s mentioned in the above. However it seems the situation with these rater old Veeam installation was even worse. Fortunately Veeam is keeping older SW stacks for download, which at this point saved my day. I reinstalled version 9.5 After this was done, I again installed Community Version 11 as an upgrade. The upgrade went through successfully, however the Veeam BR wouldn’t start as of  https://www.veeam.com/kb4204  After executing the workaround and a reboot (!!) of the virtual machine, Veeam is now running properly. Thanks again for your help and hints 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Basically what others said above, but for me it’s going to depend on what version of SQL is installed on the machines.  If it’s an older version (such as pre-2016) and there’s nothing else using SQL deployment, I’d uninstall it, clean up the old DB’s, and then proceed like normal so that it installs SQL Express 2016.  IF already on 2016, I’d remove the old DB’s in management studio and delete the DB’s from the filesystem and then create a new database during the installation.  Or, the easy button us to just give the database a new name, but that’s going to result in a couple of DB’s on the machine which may no longer be needed, so I’d rather keep things tidy if possible.

I second that. Leaving the old redundant DBs means spending more time troubleshooting later on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Basically what others said above, but for me it’s going to depend on what version of SQL is installed on the machines.  If it’s an older version (such as pre-2016) and there’s nothing else using SQL deployment, I’d uninstall it, clean up the old DB’s, and then proceed like normal so that it installs SQL Express 2016.  IF already on 2016, I’d remove the old DB’s in management studio and delete the DB’s from the filesystem and then create a new database during the installation.  Or, the easy button us to just give the database a new name, but that’s going to result in a couple of DB’s on the machine which may no longer be needed, so I’d rather keep things tidy if possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Database files are usually located here: \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.XX\MSSQL\Data\

Yes you can just delete the MDF/LDF files from here if you are not wanting to install additional software.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Database files are usually located here: \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.XX\MSSQL\Data\

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Install the SQL Studio Management and delete the database that is there.  Otherwise you will need to change the name during installation to VeeamBackup1 or something like that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Use another database name within the installation process or uninstall the mssql server first and remove all old db files. The old db is still running, and with the default db name in the installation wizard, veeam will connect to the old database.

Thanks

Fabian

Comment