Question

Unable to retrieve next block transmission command

Userlevel 2

Dear Expert!

I need your assistance with the Veeam Backup issue. I tried numerous times to resolve this issue, but none of my ideas appear to be effective. Could you please provide any suggestions for resolving this problem?

Error Message: Unexpected packet type: [%1]. Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [997]. Failed to download disk. read: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Thank you for help!!

19 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @sodane_kol -

What are you trying to do? Back up a VM? Agent machine? Or, a restore? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes what Shane asked for type of job but also check the logs too and see if they have more information - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup

If you are running a backup job there will be a folder here with the job name and logs.

Once we know more what type of job we can offer other suggestions but always suggest a support case.

Userlevel 2

Hi @sodane_kol -

What are you trying to do? Back up a VM? Agent machine? Or, a restore? 

Hello Sir, @coolsport00,
Thank you for your contribution. In this case, I had to establish a new job and attempt to backup it, as well as check to rescan storage for backup. However, it appears that these solutions are ineffective.

Userlevel 2

Yes what Shane asked for type of job but also check the logs too and see if they have more information - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup

If you are running a backup job there will be a folder here with the job name and logs.

Once we know more what type of job we can offer other suggestions but always suggest a support case.

Hello Sir, @Chris.Childerhose.
Thank you for your contribution. In this case, I haven't yet checked those logs, so do you have any suggestions for further investigating this issue?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello @sodane_kol ,
Is it a VM are you trying to backup? How many disks/controllers and the type of the disk you have?
Is there any possibility to be disk raw? If yes, the option is to use the agent backup.
Did you try to backup another VM in the same esxi host? What was it the result?
As @Chris.Childerhose suggested the logs are very important to check the error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello Sir, @Chris.Childerhose.
Thank you for your contribution. In this case, I haven't yet checked those logs, so do you have any suggestions for further investigating this issue?

If you open the log path I posted and open the job log in something like Notepad++ then do a search for “Error” you will be able to see the lines and hopefully get more information.

If that does not give you more details that you can post or see how to fix the problem, then I suggest a support ticket as they can read the logs easier than us.  😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thank you. Are you trying to back up a VM or physical machine? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @sodane_kol - any update on this issue? Did you look at the logs? Are you able to provide further details, or did the issue resolve on its own?

Hey guys!I have the same problem, but in my case, the failure occurs when I try to perform a VM restore.I opened a ticket with the Veeam team because the restore did not start, after changing the transport method, it started, but after a while it presented the error from our friend @sodane_kol
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey guys!I have the same problem, but in my case, the failure occurs when I try to perform a VM restore.I opened a ticket with the Veeam team because the restore did not start, after changing the transport method, it started, but after a while it presented the error from our friend @sodane_kol

It is probably best at this point to open a Support Case.  There is only so much technical help we can give here but they can check all the logs to help resolve the issue faster and better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@vinicius.andrade - hmm...interesting. I’d be curious what Support finds to resolve this.

I Understood!

Then I will open the ticket again and as soon as we resolve the problem, I will pass on the information here.

Thanks all in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sure thing...please keep us posted!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I Understood!

Then I will open the ticket again and as soon as we resolve the problem, I will pass on the information here.

Thanks all in advance!

Thanks for doing that as it will definitely help others once you get an answer to the issue.  That is what this community is about helping each other.  😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @sodane_kol -

I’m just following up here on your backup error post. Were you able to resolve it? Did one of the provided comments help, or did Veeam Support help you? If one of the comments helped, can you mark one as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar error who come across your post may benefit? Or, if Support helped you, could you please share what they did to get your working again?

Thank you.

I have the same problem for month. Veeam Ticket → 07049012 

No solution till now, final conclusion of Veeam, it should be the QNAP NAS → I also have a QNAP Ticket without result till now.
What NAS do you have? My other synology customers are working fine! :-/

Any solution found?
best regards, Manuel

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’ve found these type of errors are due to underlying corruption on the target machine. The physical disk if a physical machine and we’ve found this on a corrupt disk presented as a datastore in vmware

thanks for your input. target mashine is a SMBShare / NAS in my case.
SmartCheck is telling everything is fine, but with this information I will double check with a manually advanced smart ckeck.
Thanks for that information.

I also did an advanced SMART test of the HDDs, everything seems to be fine.

I also took a backup to another SMB share + healthcheck → fine
After this → manually copy Backup to QNAP NAS → copy process fine →  Veeam healthcheck failed…

It’s definitly a problem between (this?) QNAP and Veeam, maybe software/firmware bug… very strange behavier...

Comment