Skip to main content
Question

Unable to delete VEEAM from registry at all

Few months ago I have installed Veeam 12.0 community edition in my PC. Later now few days before I received an update notification for 12.1. After downloading the ISO file and trying to open the setup.exe I got the error “Unable to access the disk: access denied” like that. So I decided to uninstall the current veeam and then go for a fresh install. At that time it didnt let me to uninstall even. So I manually deleted all the folders and registry entries entirely from the system except these keys which are in the picture right now. Whatever I do these entries are never going off. 

22 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @itsupportarmt -

Are you able to reinstall your server OS then reattempt the new install?

Userlevel 2

Dear @coolsport00 reinstalling the OS may remove all the active directory details and group policies right?

Userlevel 2

I have this idea. But im also cautious that it shouldn’t destroy my creation of those directories. Or should I move to another backup solution?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Do you see anything from Veeam install remaining in Programs & Features? This includes SQL or PostgreSQL If so, can you attempt a repair? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

And, if you have this installed on A Domain Controller server, Veeam really advises against installing on those.

Yes, reinstalling your OS would wipe your AD data if this is your only DC. 

Userlevel 2

Only these many are remaining. SQL is also removed I think. The one here is for another purpose. But sure regarding veeam except the first picture remaining else are removed.

Now if I try again, this error is popping up.

Userlevel 2

Shall I try AOMEI Backupper?, if im unable to install Veeam B&R

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Is there a Veeam folder in that path location? Also, is there one in the ProgramData folder? If so, remove them then reattempt install. 

If you're still having problems getting this to reinstall, then only you can make the decision about another backup product. You really have too many services/programs installed on this server. You sound like a small shop so may have no choice, but you can run into issues like you're having here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Definitely installing on a DC is not recommended but in this case you may need to play with the registry permissions to get the delete to work.  Suggest a backup first.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Looks like some issue on c drive itself. Run checkdisk to rule out any errors.

Open command prompt and run the below command

chkdsk c: /f

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

As others have mentioned, if this deployment was on a DC, I’d recommend against this.  Like nearly all applications, the best configuration is going to be one role per server.  I’d recommend Veeam be installed on a separate server that is not holding any other roles such as Active Directory.  Not only is this for simplicity and to prevent conflicts between applications, but also from a security perspective.

To answer you question, if this is a standalone server with no other roles, then rebuilding the server is mostly trivial.  Placing the server back in the same OU would apply the same GPO’s.  HOWEVER….

It is not recommended to have a VBR server on your domain.  It is not required, and in the event of a breach of the domain, your backup server which would be almost certainly your last resort against recovering from malware, etc, would now be accessible to the bad actors/malware and backup data could be affected.  I’d highly recommend installing Veeam on a separate server, physical if possible (to prevent console access or encryption of the backup VM in the event of a hypervisor breach), and containing only Veeam roles.

Also, you’ve mentioned a few times changing to another backup product.  Obviously, that’s your prerogative, but you’re going to have a hard time finding a group of Veeam employees, technologists, fans and users recommend moving to another product.  We tend to work through the issues and set up what most of us will consider the best tool for the job rather than hopscotch around between products because of a roadblock encountered that should be able to be resolved.  Consider working through the problem encountered as an opportunity to learn more about the product, and maybe more about the process of troubleshooting in general.  In my opinion, hopping around the issue to something else without putting full effort into troubleshooting the issue, while possibly easier in the sort term, prevents that opportunity to learn and grow your skillset and knowledge.  But as I said, that choice is indeed yours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @itsupportarmt just wanted to follow up on your question to see if you were able to get it resolved and what the solution was.  If you could update the thread with the answer or mark a best answer it will really help the community.  If you are in need of more assistance just post back here.

Userlevel 2

Dear @chi-ltd @dloseke @liyakat_versatile ,

Hope you are doing well.

Yes this was a mistake I did. I am terribly sorry for that.

At first the IT vendor installed Windows Server 2016 in it and updated it to Windows Server 2019 Standard with activation.

Then I was usually performing the backups with “WINDOWS SERVER BACKUP”. One day I tried to install WINDOWS UPDATE SERVICES and Uninstalled it later.

After this uninstallation the windows server backup was showing in the system but if I open it shows windows server backup not installed in this computer.

So what I did?, I went to veeam backup and replication. For almost 1.5 years no problem at all, until I found out that veeam backup was generating lot of log txts in the sql server folder. 

But then I resolved it with an automated .bat file to remove the logs.

Recently the update 12.1 message came up so when I downloaded the ISO and tried to install these errors started popping up. 

Reinstalling the OS may fix the issue completely. I have updated active directory backup also. But Im afraid that the machine may lose the activation license.

Now I have installed the veeam B&R in another PC which is not a DC. Now all the tasks are fine except one error popping up in the task report that unable to write meta data.

I tested this backup and the restore was fine. But why this meta data comes I dont know.

Now two things I have in mind troubling. One is the inability to remove the registry entry in DC and the other is this meta data error in my PC veeam B&R

Userlevel 2

I love veeam B&R and want to know more about it. But I understand these are the situations I have to face in order to learn

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@itsupportarmt - have you tried to contact Veeam Support? They are really best suited to help you.

Userlevel 2

Dear @coolsport00,

I doubt that they may respond to problems related to community edition too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Dear @coolsport00,

Yes they will respond just not as quick as standard support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Dear @coolsport00,

They do, but is best effort. 

Userlevel 2

Dear @coolsport00 @Chris.Childerhose ,

I will definitely give it a try.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Ok, keep us posted. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Let us know what happens and if you get it resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @itsupportarmt  - I just wanted to follow up to see if you were able to resolve your issue with one of the posted comments or if you found another solution.  If you could update the thread and if one of the comments helped you mark that as best answer or if you found another solution post it and then mark it as best answer that would be great.  It will help others and the community to get answers/details for similar problems.

Comment