Solved

tape drive shows red sign on Veeam

• 29 August 2023
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 3

Hello everyone, 

We have an HPE MSL3040 tape library and we have two F.C drives on it. The drives are detected on the Veeam server but one of them shows a red sign (screenshot attached). On device manager both drives are properly working. we are unable to use the parallel processing feature because the second drive seems to be non functional. Any ideas as to why this could be happening? 

Thanks in advance for your support.

icon

Best answer by adiman 22 September 2023, 08:41

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is the device disabled in Veeam?  Check the properties of the drive to ensure it is enabled.  Other than that it should work since it shows in Windows correctly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Seems to be working correctly from the Device Manager! What is the log saying?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Seems to be working correctly from the Device Manager! What is the log saying?

No need to really check the logs as that symbol from what I know means disabled.  I have seen it on our tape services but we had to disable the drive cause it was faulty.

Userlevel 3

Is the device disabled in Veeam?  Check the properties of the drive to ensure it is enabled.  Other than that it should work since it shows in Windows correctly.

I checked and the drive is enabled. it’s strange that the sign means disabled🤔 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I checked and the drive is enabled. it’s strange that the sign means disabled🤔 

Typically that is what I have seen. Maybe try reacanning the library to see if it picks up properly if already enabled.  Otherwise you might need to check logs or open a case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I've seen a similar issue with the MSL3040 but unfortunately don't remember what was causing it. Both drives on your screenshot have the same tape ID and that's why one is disabled.

Did you have to replace a drive recently?

Have you tried to restart library and the Veeam/Tape Server?

Also, is there anything unusual shown in the MSL's web management?

Userlevel 3

Hi everyone, 

After doing some troubleshooting, we discovered that one of the drives was using an outdated firmware. we upgraded that and voila! it is now working perfectly. 

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look into our issue. This community has been very helpful and positive!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi everyone, 

After doing some troubleshooting, we discovered that one of the drives was using an outdated firmware. we upgraded that and voila! it is now working perfectly. 

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look into our issue. This community has been very helpful and positive!

Glad to hear you were able to resolve it and it was something simple.

Comment