SureBackup Lite (Scan Backup) coming to VBN AHV 5.1 with VDP 12.1.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

A much awaited feature request is coming to Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV 5.1. This will require Veeam Backup and Replication 12.1. It is the ability to scan backups with SureBackup. This will not be the full blown version like the vSphere edition with Data Labs capabilities but it is a good start. The need to protect your restore points from malware and ransomware attacks it a must. Customers can no longer wait for an infection to happen. As you see in the headlines when attacks happen, these could have already been dormant in the company for some time. I heard this time and time again. It just takes one time for a bad actor to be successful but you have to be correct one hundred percent of the time. SureBackup allows for scanning backups utilizing your antivirus software or Yara rules. If you search google this is what you will find as a definition for Yara - Yet Another Ridiculous Acronym. Veeam Data Platform 12.1 will bring radical resilience to assist in a time of need. If you are currently running prior versions of VBN AHV this will be an upgrade that pays dividends. Data Protection is key and being able to restore data when it is needed the most will help you be the hero for your organization. Please see screenshots to see SureBackup scan utilizing Yara rule and antivirus program.

Figure 1 - Selected the AHV backup you want to scan.

Figure 2 - Select your scan option and scan engine type.

​​​Figure 3 - Scan using Yara rule.

Figure 4 - Scan using antivirus engine.

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Very good that the malware scan capability is made available to more workloads. 😎👍🏼

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Very good that the malware scan capability is made available to more workloads. 😎👍🏼

Yes @JMeixner Nutanix customers have been waiting a while 😎.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Nice to see Veeam adding it to Nutanix as well. This will be great 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Nice to see Veeam adding it to Nutanix as well. This will be great 👍

Yes @Chris.Childerhose as @JMeixner said above the more workloads covered the better😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

While I don’t feel like VMware is necessarily going anywhere, I do feel like it’s in Veeam’s best interests to be investing in alternative hypervisors because certainly a lot of people are going to be eyeballing other products with the Broadcom acquisition.  And some people are very reactionary and will probably change.  I feel like Nutanix (AHV) and Proxmox may be the ones to watch in this space.  And probably some hyper-v.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

While I don’t feel like VMware is necessarily going anywhere, I do feel like it’s in Veeam’s best interests to be investing in alternative hypervisors because certainly a lot of people are going to be eyeballing other products with the Broadcom acquisition.  And some people are very reactionary and will probably change.  I feel like Nutanix (AHV) and Proxmox may be the ones to watch in this space.  And probably some hyper-v.

Thanks for your feedback @dloseke I will definitely share this with PM😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thank you @Pybarra , that’s awesome 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Your very welcome @Moustafa_Hindawi 😀

Was waiting for a long time for SureBackup to be compatible with Nutanix AHV, well thank you a big time for adding support.

However, we really still need a full integration (run Nutanix AHV VMs on a Virtual Lab) not just scanning; this would really help us.

would it be implemented in the upcoming versions?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Was waiting for a long time for SureBackup to be compatible with Nutanix AHV, well thank you a big time for adding support.

However, we really still need a full integration (run Nutanix AHV VMs on a Virtual Lab) not just scanning; this would really help us.

would it be implemented in the upcoming versions?

Hi @adil bouazzaoui more to come but still to early to comment on. Happy holidays😀.

Userlevel 5

i am trying this too however the error comes back with the below error.

i am using the EN Edition licentie.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

i am trying this too however the error comes back with the below error.

i am using the EN Edition licentie.

I believe you need ENT+ edition for this part to work.  Hopefully someone confirms.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Chris.Childerhose based on this platform comparison doc you are correct -  https://www.veeam.com/veeam_data_platform_feature_comparison_ds.pdf 😀

Comment