Solved

SureBackup - Help with configuring and testing

• 9 January 2024
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello everybody and wish you a happy and successful new year. 

I’m starting with configuration of SureBackup for our environment.
I’m still pretty new to everything so it would be great if someone can assist.

We have a standalone Hyper-V Host that we are using for our Virtual Lab.
Few of you are already familiar with our setup but I will write it again:

• Backup Jobs going on primary location (Synology NAS iSCSI connection formatted as ReFS to Windows Server)
  • Backup Copy Jobs on secondary location ( Synology NAS iSCSI connection formatted as ReFS to Windows Server)
  • Immutable Backups on secondary location ( Running Directly on Synology NAS as a VHR - isolated )

Now I want to add SureBackup to our Backup Strategy to complete the 3-2-1-1-0 rule. 

Currently I created an Virtual Lab with Hyper-V Host but didn’t configure anything than default settings that Veeam Already configured by itself.

VM’s that we backup range from DC’s, FileServer’s, Revit Server’s and a lot of other applications.
What would be the best approach for that. At the moment I have only HeartBeat that is working.
Ping test is not going trough.

icon

Best answer by MarkBoothman 9 January 2024, 10:31

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @NemanjaJanicic  This blog post may be of assistance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Along with that blog post the help section is really good too - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/surebackup_hiw.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You may not have proper networking set up for your VMs to ping properly. You have Guest Additions installed or your heartbeat test would fail..so that’s good. Try looking at this Forum post to get ping working..or try to. At the very least, you can open the VM Console to make sure your VMs come up ok, which is the main thing. Networking config you’d need to work with your networking team to get that working as needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I had an issue with ping forever and it turned out to be windows firewall on the VM within the backup.

When it gets mounted, there is a good chance it gets a new MAC and that creates a new interface within windows which caused me some issues. setting the same firewall settings on public, private, and domain firewalls fixed it.  I did this on the production VM’s so when they came up in the lab the settings would be there.

A way to test is boot the lab, while it’s coming up, before the ping test fails, log in to the console and disable the firewall and see if the ping test passes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

With v12, there is now a startup option to have Veeam disable the firewall during testing to allow pings.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/surebackup_job_tests_vm.html?ver=120#startup

Wolfgang mentioned this as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @NemanjaJanicic -

I just wanted to follow up on your post and see if any of the comments provided helped you with your Surebackup question? Veeam has a KB available for failed Surebackup pings you can reference if needed. If any of the provided comments helped you, we ask you please mark the one which best helped you out as ‘Best Answer’ so others who come across your post with a similar issue/query may benefit. However, if you do have further questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you!

Comment