Solved

Storage Snapshot Restore to a different volume

• 7 September 2023
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I’m trying to do Instant Recovery of a large server from a VeeamSourceSnapshot to a different volume. There is no option of doing this, what’s the workaround? 

We are using NetApp and it has a 100TB limitation on the volume size so this is the reason why I would like to restore to a volume that has more free space. 

Appreciate your input!

icon

Best answer by MatzeB 7 September 2023, 19:51

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, instant recovery from storage snapshot has to use your source snapshot to mount, or are you talking about your redo logs? That is defined in your virtual lab ( https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/vlab_datastore_vm.html?ver=120) Once the VM is booted you could use storage vmotion to migrate to another datastore if you need the server on a more permanent basis.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks for the quick reply.

I’m talking about the VM itself and not the redo logs. I’m thinking of vmotion after the Instant Recovery but if I can bypass vmotioning the better. It’s going to take a long time also to vmotion this big server :-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Further to Michael’s reply here is some more information on Instant Recovery - Instant Recovery to VMware vSphere - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unfortunately the way instant recovery works is it runs the VM from the backup. In this case, that’s the source snapshot. Otherwise you’ve got to do an entire VM restore, it will stop you having to storage vmotion, but it’s still got to restore everything from a backup anyway…

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I work with netapp all day.... The only chance with veeam is a instant recovery (which is a vol clone from the date you want to restore). At this point no space is consumed. The effect is kicking when you need to make a the move of the VM. Other way is full VM restore but it doesnt help.... 

If 100tb is the limitation maybe a Update to netapp ontap 9.12 will fix this because nearly all system has a incresed limit of 300tb volume. Anyway im not a friend of such big volumes, maybe you can split the datastores.

If you need only one or several parts of the VM for example only a vmdk you can do a single File clone within the netapp volume. It is a offline process, you need to specify the path manually on cli, but it doesnt consume extra space it online modifys the pointers within wafl. 

Regards matze 

Comment