Solved

Secondary GPT header LBA 209715199 exceeds the size of the disk (86401630720)

• 6 October 2023
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
  • Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
  • 192 comments

VBR v12 guest file restore---happen error message is as below:

Secondary GPT header LBA 209715199 exceeds the size of the disk (86401630720)

Agent failed to process method {Mount.GenericMount)

I tried to change the mount server of the repository, but I still had no luck.

Any idea?

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 6 October 2023, 13:47

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Did you check the logs to see if there was more details - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup

Never seen this message before. Maybe support case?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @CarySun, I’ve found an old post here https://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere-f24/secondary-gpt-header-lba-692060159-exceeds-the-size-of-the-disk-268435456000-t73035.html

You can try referring to that case id 04714989, although it doesn't seem to have been resolved..

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hmmm...not seen this before either; but a somewhat similar message I've seen with regard to drive size & attempting to add (extend) space to a NTFS drive. I'm wondering if this file is from a Volume Allocation Unit size much larger than the Volume you're trying to restore it to? Just a guess. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @CarySun, I’ve found an old post here https://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere-f24/secondary-gpt-header-lba-692060159-exceeds-the-size-of-the-disk-268435456000-t73035.html

You can try referring to that case id 04714989, although it doesn't seem to have been resolved..

YA, I saw this, but it seems not to be resolved, it rebuilt the VM.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@CarySun , as @coolsport00 sugested, it could be related with space in mount server.
Did you check if you have enought space?
I found this on Veeam Forum https://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere-f24/secondary-gpt-header-lba-692060159-exceeds-the-size-of-the-disk-268435456000-t73035.html, but no solution so far.

Sometimes when i have this problem, i restore the VM using the instant recovery, when online without network interface,  Add a New disk to VM > bring it online > Format using disk managment and select a Letter, example i:\.
This way you can copy what you want to this new disk, after that you can shutdown this VM, remove the disk (Do not delete from datastore) and mount in another server it can be on a veeam proxy you are not using.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@coolsport00 Interesting, it seems as you thought. This VM has only one virtual disk (C:) and it has 9GB of free space. I cannot restore file (actually, I cannot mount any restore point to the mount server) from any existing restore points.

I tried to create a new test backup job to backup the VM and tried to restore from the first restore point (full backup), but got the same error. So I expend the C drive to add 10GB more space to it, then rerun the backup job.

Now, I can mount the incremental restore point but I still cannot mount the full backup restore point.

That means all of the restore points cannot be mounted before expanding the C drive of the VM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@HenriqueA Ya, it’s a good idea to restore files. I also can use the Restore VM file function and mount it to the existing VM as a new virtual disk drive. I just want to find the root cause.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@CarySun yeah..thought something like that was in play. 

Comment