Solved

Recovery Media Issue

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I'm using Veeam 11 community edition.  I'm having trouble booting from the recovery media.  First of all the "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" is displayed in German.  When I do press a key the system hangs at a screen with the blue 4 pane window image, a MS Windows image.  I also noticed I don't get the option to include drivers when building the image.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thank you,

Frank

icon

Best answer by haslund 18 August 2022, 07:00

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi Frank,

I suspect the reason for the German language is local language settings on the computer from where the recovery media is generated.

When you create the recovery media from the Backup Server, you cannot pre-load any drivers. However, if you create the recovery media from the agent computer it is possible to do it, see: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/image_create_options.html?ver=50

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Frank,

I suspect the reason for the German language is local language settings on the computer from where the recovery media is generated.

When you create the recovery media from the Backup Server, you cannot pre-load any drivers. However, if you create the recovery media from the agent computer it is possible to do it, see: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/image_create_options.html?ver=50

Rasmus is getting fast on here with replies. 😂

What he indicated is what I would suspect too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi Frank,

Rasmus is getting fast on here with replies. 😂

Well, I am in Malaysia right now so that helps a bit :-) I just love community work, so whenever I see the e-mail popup and I have a chance to reply I would love to do it :)

Maybe there will be another chance to present at VUG Canada this year? :)

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the response.  My language is set to English.  I don’t have a Create Recovery Media App on the server machine or an agent machine.

Frank

Userlevel 2

I was wondering where you were.  Yeah, it amazes me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

To launch the Create Recovery Media wizard at any time, from the Microsoft Windows Start menu, select All Programs > Veeam > Tools > Create Recovery Media or use the Microsoft Windows search to find the Create Recovery Media option on your computer.

You can also go down to the program files directory and locate it from there.

Userlevel 2

I can’t find it anywhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It looks like the backup server, are you sure you are doing that from the agent computer?

Userlevel 2

Thank you both!

The app did not appear in either system’s start menu but I did find it here with your help on both the Server and Agent systems.  I’ll recreate the Media with this builder and see if it boots.  I expect it will since the proper drivers (RAID) will be included.

Haslund, create a post showing the correct directory to find it in and I’ll mark it as the best answer.

Thank Again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Here is the screenshot from my lab of where to find the executable for creating a recovery media on the computer where the Windows agent is installed:

Recovery Media creation tool location

Don’t forget, you don’t have to pre-load the drivers. You can also just add them after booting from the recovery media by having them on a USB stick for example.

Comment