Quick Backup of a VM associated to multiple Backup jobs

• 20 December 2021
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I had to do a quick backup of a VM today.

OK, no problem I thought and hit the Quick backup menue topic for this VM in the inventory tab

The job started and I saw some disk exclusion in the job log.

Mhh… I wanted a quick backup of the whole machine.

Then I saw that another job than I had expected was started for the quick backup.

OK, this job backups indeed on disk of the VM only….

Then I recognized that this VM is associated to several backup jobs. One which backups the whole VM, one to backup one VMDK with DB Backups and on job to backup one VMDK with log backups.

It’s an older setup with a database without application aware backup.

So, it seems that the quick backup executes the backup job which was executed last for the VM before the quick backup is started….

And you have no choice to tell the quick backup which job you want to use…

Am I missing something here? Is it a bug or a feature???? :sunglasses:

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to select the job which is used for that?

Or am I the only one finding this useful?

If some of you find this useful, too, then write please a comment or leave a like here.

I will write a feature request if there are some positive responses for this...

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That is correct about which job executes the Quick Backup. See here - Quick Backup - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

It explains a VM in two jobs. :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi Chris, thanks…

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to select the job which is used for that?

Or am I the only one finding this useful?

If some of you find this useful, too, then write please a comment.

I will then write a feature request...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Agree this would be handy, it’s an edge case but certainly one that should be considered. My understanding was that it did this because the quickest “quick” backup would be the one with the smallest amount of incremental. But if you had a backup of the same VM to multiple storage tiers (maybe BCJ isn’t used or SOBR can’t be used cause of licensing etc). Then you could have a recent backup to a slow SMB instead of tier 1 SSD which on paper makes sense as it’s a smaller incremental but in reality actually takes longer due to the lower performance data store.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thank you Michael.

This is another aspect.

In my case there are multiple jobs because data on specific virtual disk are saved with a different retention or a different rpo. And for this I would like to select the job to get the correct data quick backuped...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Post the feature request here please and I’ll be sure to endorse with use cases

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Post the feature request here please and I’ll be sure to endorse with use cases

Ok, will definitely post it here. 😎👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Good one +1, i discovered the same things with Veeam Zip this morning :sweat_smile:

It took an old disabled jobs and an old proxy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh, ok, VeeamZIP, too… I did not see this up to now, but it is a similar procedure….

Comment