Solved

PostgreSQL Configuration Database on a Linux Host

• 22 February 2023
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 1

Hi dear Veeam community,

i’m wondering if it’s possible to migrate the configuration database to a PostgreSQL DB on a Ubuntu host?

Can’t find anything about that.

I’ve setup the db but i’m facing an error:

The port on the ubuntu is listening, credentials are correct.

Does someone have a clue?

Best regards :-)

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 22 February 2023, 15:02

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @flg0461 

you’ve a fresh installation of V12 and you’re trying to connect to a postgres on a different server? 
I think you can check here

Userlevel 1

I’ve a fresh installation upgraded to V12 with currently, a MSSQL config db.

Want to switch it to postgres on an ubuntu but don’t know if that’s possible.

Would like to avoid running postgres on windows if it’s possible :-)

In the post you mentioned, they’re talking about postgres on windows.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As far as I know is this scenario possible. But I haven't done it by myself up to now...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Have you created postgres instance on linux server?

From help center https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/vbr_config_migrate_to_postgresql.html?ver=120

If you need to migrate the Veeam Backup & Replication configuration database from the Microsoft SQL Server to the PostgreSQL, you need to create a new configuration backup and restore it on the PostgreSQL instance. As a result, you will be able to continue using the same Veeam Backup & Replication server but it will be connected to a configuration database on the PostgreSQL instead of Microsoft SQL Server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @flg0461, I think this is the help document you need: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/vbr_config_migrate_to_postgresql.html?ver=120

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I’ve already read about these documents, thanks anyway.

There is no information if postgres on ubuntu will work.

Anyone with practical knowledge? :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Sorry but windows or linux vm are not important because focus is on database. 

From VBR Server can you connect to pg port?
telnet 192.168.32.212 5432

have some iptables rule on linux? 

db postgres Version?

Postgres is completely supported on ubuntu https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/ 

What kind of practical knowledge are you looking for? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have tested PG on a CentOS box for my database server.  I ran in to the same issue you are seeing and needed to do some reading on PG and also turn off the FW on Linux.  There is also a way to allow connections to the PG server from any IP as well that I needed to look in to.  Once I fixed everything then I could get the VBR server to connect without that error to deploy the database.

I know everyone wants the answers here but if you Google you will find the information for sure as that is what I did.  Yes, not the answer everyone wants to hear but it saves us from doing the Google work. 😋😂

Comment