Solved

Postgres on Windows server full and archive backup

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi all 

has someone experience on this environment? 

if it were on Linux there would be no problems using the agent….. but on Windows? 

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 17 June 2021, 13:02

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello,
as far as I know, Postgres can be backuped with pre-/post-scripts only. Or with a native DB Backup executed prior to the VM Backup.

Which problems do you see with the windows agent?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Joe, 

we want to have an archive backup similar to MSSQL or Oracle. I know about pre/post script but it is not possible to have a child process to backup the archives. 

I know with windows Agent it isn’t possible to backup postgres. Right? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, I don’t know about application aware backup of PostgresSQL with Veeam Windows agent. This is supported with the Linux agent only..

I am afraid, with windows agent - or on Windows in general - you will have to use the scripts.

Perhaps you should place a feature request for this :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I think best way to have a full backup daily and archive log periodically is 

VM backup from hypervisor

folder backup with agent periodically during the day

What’s your idea? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think a full and several incremental backups per day of the VM should be possible. The you don’t need the agent. The pre and post scripts can be run by a VM backup job, too. In this case you don’t need the agent...

But it depends on how big your VM and database is and how much change rate you have on that database (and with this how many logs you have).

How many days/versions do you want to keep?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I think a full and several incremental backups per day of the VM should be possible. The you don’t need the agent. The pre and post scripts can be run by a VM backup job, too. In this case you don’t need the agent...

But it depends on how big your VM and database is and how much change rate you have on that database (and with this how many logs you have).

How many days/versions do you want to keep?

This is principal question I discuss with customer. He wants 60 days for VM and 5 days for database. and we are discussing about postgres archive backup. 

At the moment there is a local backup script for postgres archive on local disk. Every day start another script for copy archive on a nas. But we haven’t a policy to restore in point in VM failure event during last day. And I’m looking for a different solution with Veeam maybe. 

Thanks for your time 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The backup and restore of the PostgreSQL DB will work with your scripts only.

What I have done for some customers (2 scenarios):

1. create DB and Log Backups with a script and write them to a dedicated VMDK. Backup the whole VM with a Veeam backup Job once a day and backup the dedicated backup VMDK with another backup job several times a day. So, you don’t have to backup the whole VM several times a day, but you are able to restore the DB to different point in time within a day.
  2. Integrate the invocation of an agent backup job in your script and backup the DB Backup or logs directly after their creation onto the Veeam Repo.
    With this procedure you can restore each single backup file via the agent in case the DB needs to be restored.
    Please see here for managing the agent via command line:
    https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforwindows/userguide/backup_cmd.html?ver=50
Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Joe, 

really thanks for your time. 

I think we can use both senarios so I provide these solutions to our customer. 

I hope to be able to reply to you if possible.

Comment