Solved

Plugin all of a sudden consuming license - though VM is part of socket license

• 8 December 2023
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

In a customer environment today we faced the issue that all HANA plugin backups all of a sudden stopped backing up:

Session failed: Unable to process the workload: your license has been exceeded  

In VBR’s license dialog I found the plugins to consume VUL licenses all of a sudden - which there are only the 6 complimentary ones. 

The plugins run on VMs already under socket licensing and that worked for years.

Has anyone seen this already? How does VBR actually determine if the plugin resides on a VM? This process seems to be impaired here.

Case is open. Support is digging through plugin logs. 

Thanks

Michael

icon

Best answer by regnor 8 December 2023, 19:53

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have one customer with socket licenses which is using a lot of RMAN plugins.
We don’t have any problems up to now.

Did you update to 12.1 already? My customer is still on the latest V12...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks, @JMeixner. No, still 12.0.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Did anything change recently? For example, are the hosts which run the HANA VMs no longer added to Veeam or visible in the Inventory?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

We found the root cause for the issue. 😅

Actually it even relates to something @vNote42 has already shared earlier: [Quicktip] Licensing error during backup | Veeam Community Resource Hub - but now for plugin jobs.

What happened in our case was:

• Service account PW used by Veeam to access vCenter was changed three (!) days earlier and was updated within VBR, but seemingly with a typo in the PW. A domain account is being used here.
  • For two more days the kerberos ticket that Veeam used to access vCenter stayed valid - even with the now wrong PW inside VBRs database. So the timb bomb is ticking.
  • On Friday around 10:30 the kerberos ticket on VBR had to be renewed, which failed because of the wrong PW.
  • From now on VBR was no longer able to proof that the HANA plugins are living on already license wise covered VMs and started to require a license. So they failed, as there are no VULs available for them.

Of course all VM backups would also have failed in their next run.

But funnily enough the first jobs to fail are the ones that have no obvious correlation with the account using the wrong PW. This made troubleshooting kind of a challenge.

My take-away is: always check your vCenter creds once you face the above error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Interesting to see how long Veeam continued to work with the wrong password, but good to hear that you were able to solve it @Michael Melter 🙂 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Very interesting.

We had the “problem” with the expired password once, too. But the plugins didn't failt with this licensing error.

Good to know 😎👍🏼

Comment