ONTAP 9.14.1 now supported with Veeam Data Platform 12.1.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

For any NetApp ONTAP or Lenovo ONTAP fans. Veeam has qualified ONTAP 9.14.1 GA with Veeam Data Platform 12.1. One of the features I was waiting for was ONTAP S3 with Object Lock for ransomware protection. Unfortunately this did not work for me see screenshot below. I have reported it to NetApp. They told me that it could be fixed in an ONTAP 9.14.1 “P” release. The non object lock version still works😀. 

Veeam Documentation link for NetApp

NetApp FAS/AFF/ASA, FlexArray (V-Series), ONTAP Edge/Select/Cloud VSA

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/system_requirements.html?ver=120#netapp-fas-aff-asa--flexarray--v-series---ontap-edge-select-cloud-vsa

Veeam Documentation link for Lenovo

Lenovo DM Series

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/system_requirements.html?ver=120#lenovo-dm-series

NetApp ONTAP 9.14.1 Release Notes

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2492508

25 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

So close yet so far. 😜

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

So close yet so far. 😜 Thanks@Chris.Childerhose baby steps 😂

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Played around in our lab with 9.14, had the exact same issue while backups without object lock are working fine. Hopefully they will fix it soon ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m waiting for Nimble to get on the ball with this myself. Maybe I’ll reach out to my SE, or them directly, and see if there’s a timeline this gets implemented.

Userlevel 4
Badge

hands down guys; did somebody use S3 on ONTAP before 9.14.1 in production? as backup target or not.
we run a metrocluster FC and S3 was only supported on metrocluster IP with unmirrored aggregates (not useable for me). how are your experience with S3 on ONTAP at scale?

@coolsport00 did you think nimble have a future after the “small” alletras released now?

best regards
daniel

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Yes i use it in production at two customers with 9.12 als Veeam s3 repo.

I know the limitation on metrocluster IP but i dont think thats a problem because normaly metrocluster isn’t the backup target NO 1.
We don’t have experience at scale at the moment, but maybe in the near future because of the problems with Netapp Storage GRID and small objects we may plan to migrate a bigger workload to ontap s3…..

Regards

Matze

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@ger.itpro - ”@coolsport00 did you think nimble have a future after the “small” alletras released now?” Hard to say...hope so for at least a few more yrs. Time will tell 😊

Userlevel 4
Badge

Yes i use it in production at two customers with 9.12 als Veeam s3 repo.

I know the limitation on metrocluster IP but i dont think thats a problem because normaly metrocluster isn’t the backup target NO 1.
We don’t have experience at scale at the moment, but maybe in the near future because of the problems with Netapp Storage GRID and small objects we may plan to migrate a bigger workload to ontap s3…..

Regards

Matze

yes i agree; metroclusters as backup target is nonsense.
i would love to hear your experience on ONTAP S3 if you like to share; thanks.

best regards
daniel

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Played around in our lab with 9.14, had the exact same issue while backups without object lock are working fine. Hopefully they will fix it soon ;)

agreed @MatzeB 😀

Userlevel 3

Just wanna do a test on it, and thanks! Let’s wait for the next P

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for sharing, @Pybarra !

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

You are welcome @leduardoserrano 😀

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

NetApp has released ONTAP 9.14.1 P1 yesterday and ONTAP S3 Object Lock is now functioning with Veeam. They will be doing a Veeam Ready test in March so stay tuned🙂. Bucket creation (Figure 1) and job deletion (Figure 2) screenshots below.

Figure 1

Figure 2

That’s all folks💪😎!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That is awesome and good news for NetApp users to have Object Lock.  Wish I could use every technology out there to test.  😂

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

That is awesome and good news for NetApp users to have Object Lock.  Wish I could use every technology out there to test.  😂

You would need a very large lab lol🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You would need a very large lab lol🤣

Yep, and my electric bill would love me then, but not the wife.  🤣

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Yes. That would cause a problem for sure. I use to run Proliant servers in my basement that sounded like airplanes. There were no energy efficient power supplies in those days. I feel like a dinosaur now 😂

Userlevel 3

thanks pybarra! let me test it out on our lab too !

Userlevel 3

Veeam Alliance Partner Technical Programs

wish this feature is ceritifed soon on immutability.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

wish this feature is ceritifed soon on immutability.  Hopefully in March timeframe😀.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

thanks pybarra! let me test it out on our lab too !

You are welcome, @acw_calvin 😊.

Userlevel 3

wish this feature is ceritifed soon on immutability.  Hopefully in March timeframe😀.

thanks for the tips! currently we have a customer is deploying with pre,post script.

this sound a more robust options! much thanks bro !

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Anytime @acw_calvin keep up the good work 💪😎

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Pybarra nice ;)
Can confirm - just updated and tested in our Demo Lab!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Great job @MatzeB 😀

Comment