Solved

one veeam license with multiple console

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
  • Comes here often
  • 35 comments

I would like to ask about the term of veeam license, if i consider having 2 console, one in site A and one insite B with vm around 10 in each site, so it means that i have to buy 2 bundles of veeam licenses.

Then the question is, if i were buying 2 bundle, will i get only 1 license file  or 2 license files ?

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 10 June 2023, 19:05

View original

13 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you bought 2 bundles, you would get 2 license files. There is an option in the License portal to combine licenses, but you probably wouldn’t want to do that as you have 2 VBR servers. If you do indeed have just 10 objects you want to back up, you don’t even need a license because the ‘Community Edition’ allows 10 instances by default for free. But, if you expect to add any instances (VMs, Agents, etc), then yes...you’d want to buy at least 1 license per site (assuming there’d be instance ‘growth’ at each site).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Actually @dika ..I misspoke. You can’t merge VUL (instance) licenses...only perpetual/socket licenses per the Guide. Apologies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Easiest option will be to install Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager (VBEM), and install your license on that then register your Veeam B&R servers to it, then license consumption is managed centrally. You can speak to Veeam support to split licenses, last time I checked they couldn’t be split via the portal. This could be outdated information however!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Welll, thanks for the answer.

But I have ever also read about veeam backup entreprise manager that can manage multiple VBR server from single web console.

So i would like to know, how does it work and what type of veeam's license such as (advance, foundation or essential) that support to use veeam backup entreprise maager. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It will support any purchased end user license 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I actually thought you could get 2 .lic files if requested. Thanks for the clarification @MicoolPaul . I did a bit more searching and, sadly, there is absolutely nothing readily stated about the splitting process...just the merging process. It appears from here you can merge 2 VULs as shown in the Licensing Policy

Funny...looked at the Forums and saw an exactly same question 😊 & 2-3 options were also suggested similar to yours Michael. Hannes does say VUL licenses can be split, but he didn’t say how...I guess only Support can do so? I think they should at least state somewhere, beit in the Guide or in the Policy, how you can split licenses if needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Did the same thing @coolsport00 😆 I remember one of my customers saying they were splitting out a lot of their licenses to specific branch sites, believe they did that with Veeam support as opposed to the portal

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There’s a lot to licensing nowadays. Wouldn’t take a whole lotta effort by Veeam tech editors to add 3-5 sentences clarifying license splitting process 😊

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

thanks for the answer, it helps me a lot

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

There’s a lot to licensing nowadays. Wouldn’t take a whole lotta effort by Veeam tech editors to add 3-5 sentences clarifying license splitting process 😊

While it‘s supported, license splitting is rarely done.
As stated in the license policy, an enterprise manager must be used when you use the license with different backup server. There is no need to split a license if a customer follows our policy :)

If there is a good reason to split the license (example: dark sites without connections between each other), a support case from type „licensing“ can be opened to ask for a license split.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

As stated in the license policy, an enterprise manager must be used when you use the license with different backup server. There is no need to split a license if a customer follows our policy :)

Thanks Fabian for noting this….I wasn’t aware it was a requirement but I totally get why that would be the case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I would go easy with the Enterprise manager, and consume the instances from there,

also manage the backups with the “easy tasks” it provides.

You just need a Windows server to install it, and its very straightforward forward the installation and management.

If you purchase 20 instance, there is a “security border” to overpass the consumption, but once in a while check your assigned licenses, to not overuse them and get any license issues.

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

You can split them, or use Veeam enterprise manager and add the one license key to it, then add the 2 VBR servers

Comment