Solved

O365 and Cloud

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just want to run this by all the Service Provider Gurus here.

It seems that for Multi-tenant O365 Veeam no longer wants you to place the console on the Cloud Connect server. Instead you install it separately and have it connected to the VSPC and expose a portal for restores. The old method of having the CC tenants go through the SP in the local VBR server is not seen as the optimal option. This diagram from the BP would suggest this:

Does that sound correct? I have been away from O365 for a bit now and the world is changing.

icon

Best answer by LDelloca 11 May 2023, 09:53

View original

20 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah, they are trying to move away from VCC I think and leverage VSPC more for service providers.  You can still install VCC on the O365 server as another option which we are looking at as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Dreams do come true :) Update hell avoided :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The main advantage to having the VBM365 (O365 became M365 over two years ago...) on the same server as VCC is to allow customers to connect to the Explorers to do their own restores. The self service portal give a lot of functionality but the Explorer restores still have a lot of functionality that’s not in the portal (such as selecting multiple users or exporting to PST or restoring to a different mailbox).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I still can’t get used to that name O365 is what I remember from my youth.

Functionality aside better to have it separated from what I remember as it made upgrades tricky. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Functionality aside...

Unless that functionality is necessary...it depends what you want to offer customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Functionality aside...

Unless that functionality is necessary...it depends what you want to offer customers.

Yes it does. We have to put VCC back on to offer the Explorers which I don't want but have to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Functionality aside...

Yes it does. We have to put VCC back on to offer the Explorers which I don't want but have to.

I think this went off track slightly :)  My main interest was in if service providers like @Chris.Childerhose and others had seen or heard of any major issues in the last 2 years or so with it being on the CC server. The reason I say this is that it was hinted to me that Veeam is now recommending not placing the 365 product on the CC server. I get the upgrading challenges and then there is the portal but that is quite a big turn around from years before. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Functionality aside...

I think this went off track slightly :)  My main interest was in if service providers like @Chris.Childerhose and others had seen or heard of any major issues in the last 2 years or so with it being on the CC server. The reason I say this is that it was hinted to me that Veeam is now recommending not placing the 365 product on the CC server. I get the upgrading challenges and then there is the portal but that is quite a big turn around from years before. 

Yes the best practice is on a seperate server and then enable the portal there. But for some reason if they need the explorers you need VCC on the same box.  It says this in the documentation.

No issues just ensuring clients have same release as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Has anyone heard of any major issues that occurred with this setup?

I know the functionality, BP and all the stuff in the docs. Again Did anyone with a large setup who was running CC and M365 on the same server encounter any major issues? Massive performance hits or something like that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Has anyone heard of any major issues that occurred with this setup?

I know the functionality, BP and all the stuff in the docs. Again Did anyone with a large setup who was running CC and M365 on the same server encounter any major issues? Massive performance hits or something like that. 

No major issues here with the very large site we have other than clients having the right versions on their end.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

From what we’ve implemented with a MSP with a large VBM365 deployment done with VCC and VBM365 on the same servers, they have not had any performance issues. There will be a session at VeeamON about large scale deployments by Falko and Jim Jones so maybe they can give some more insight here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

From what we’ve implemented with a MSP with a large VBM365 deployment done with VCC and VBM365 on the same servers, they have not had any performance issues. There will be a session at VeeamON about large scale deployments by Falko and Jim Jones so maybe they can give some more insight here.

Yeah, looking forward very much to this session.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, they are trying to move away from VCC I think and leverage VSPC more for service providers.  You can still install VCC on the O365 server as another option which we are looking at as well.

Agreed...I came in after the VCC integration for this, so I haven’t played with it.  But I agree that it looks like we’re moving to using the SPC more.  My current configuration is having VBM365 on a separate server that is tied to the SPC but doesn’t have the VCC role on it.  But my clients don’t need to have access to perform self-restores.  I’m hoping that the product matures a bit more before that requirement were to come up.  I only have two clients that have access to the current Barracuda solution that would want access to perform self-restores.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The main advantage to having the VBM365 (O365 became M365 over two years ago...) on the same server as VCC is to allow customers to connect to the Explorers to do their own restores. The self service portal give a lot of functionality but the Explorer restores still have a lot of functionality that’s not in the portal (such as selecting multiple users or exporting to PST or restoring to a different mailbox).

I guess if I have clients that need to be able to perform self-restores with the explorer, I could have two VBM365 servers - one that is not a VCC, and one that is, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Functionality aside...

I haven’t played with the self-service portal yet, but the way it appears to me is that it can only tie to one M365 tenant, such as if used as an internal VBM365 server and not for multi-tenant access as a service provider?  Someone please correct me if I’m wrong and don’t understand that portion of the product.  I still need to play with that functionality.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

If you use an acronym, please use VB365 :)

VBM365 does not exists on our platform. But VB365 is used in the best practice guide 😅

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I haven’t played with the self-service portal yet, but the way it appears to me is that it can only tie to one M365 tenant, such as if used as an internal VBM365 server and not for multi-tenant access as a service provider?  Someone please correct me if I’m wrong and don’t understand that portion of the product.  I still need to play with that functionality.

No, the portal is totally capable of doing multi-tenancy and be used by multiple organizations, protected by the same VB365 server.

For the design and functionality, indeed we are suggesting (if possible as many stated above) to move away from VCC+Explorers. Personally (and this is my very own opinion, not the company one) it has never been a design I liked, it forces customers to have a VBR installation around and then you start to have issues with console compatiblity.

If there is any specific function missing from the portal, I’d suggest to submit the requests in the VB365 forums and have it added in future versions. So that at some point in the future we may be able to do everything from the portal and forget the VCC+Explorer design.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

VBM365 does not exists on our platform. But VB365 is used in the best practice guide 😅

Good idea given how MS loves to rename things...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

No, the portal is totally capable of doing multi-tenancy and be used by multiple organizations, protected by the same VB365 server.

Thanks for stating this...I’ll dig deeper into it...this is good news.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Good idea given how MS loves to rename things...

I still like the joke it should be called MS356 how often it’s having issues. 😆

Comment