Question

Netapp snapshots created, vscan set to not scan snapshots, performance still impacted

• 10 November 2023
  • 3 comments

I’m using NetApp 9.12 just a cifs smb share. I followed the instructions from veeam to create the storage infrastructure for netapp and the subsequent NAS filer. I created a file to tape job to use vss and confirm that the snapshot is being created by veeam on NetApp. I have the virus scanning to exclude the directory based on NetApp’s published kb on excluding snapshots from vscan. 

What is the right format of '-paths-to-exclude' in 'vserver vscan onaccess-policy' command? - NetApp Knowledge Base

Use Snapshots to backup SMB File Shares on your NetApp ONTAP system (veeam.com)

With vscan enabled veeam will just stop transferring completely for long periods of time. With vscan disabled it backs up normally. How can I tell if veeam is actually using the snapshot it creates and not just trying to access the files? In the file to tape job I have use ms VSS checked in the options. in the SMB file share I have it set to backup from a ms VSS Snapshot and “failover to direct backup if a snapshot is not available” is unchecked. Am I missing something? what’s the point of the NAS filer and such, is that only for backing up to respository and not to tape or something? If I try to add the NetApp to a regular backup to repository as a “file share” it doesn’t backup anything. Any insight would be appreciated.

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you followed the second link it shows you where in the job to check for the snapshot backup in the example screenshots.

Use Snapshots to backup SMB File Shares on your NetApp ONTAP system (veeam.com)

Also, there is this from the Veeam help on adding NetApp to Veeam for storage integration -

Adding NetApp Data ONTAP - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Yea as I stated, veeam is creating the snapshot but does not appear to be using them as evident in the virus scanning adding overhead with the snapshots excluded from being scanned. I also don’t understand what the NAS filer object actually does because it’s not an option in the file to tape backup section and I still need to create and use an SMB share which is where the use VSS option is checked. Then if I do a backup to repository it lets me choose the NAS filer, but it populates the file mask to exclude snapshots so it doesn’t backup anything at all because it’s only used for SMB/CIFS shares. So do I remove the filters to include the snapshots and just do a backup to tape job that will just backup the snapshots? I wouldn’t be able to do file level restores from that though right? I’d have to restore the snapshot somehow and then open that snapshot and hope the file I’m looking for is there. Is the NAS filer supposed to show me the SMB shares on the NAS when I do a regular backup files to repository job?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unsure what to suggest.  Found this guide regarding NetApp - Veeam & NetApp Configuration Guide and Best Practices

Sorry as I don’t use NetApp so hard to provide further help other than doctor Google. 😁

Comment