Solved

.NET 4.8 & Veeam B&R 11

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if .NET 4.8 can safely be used with Veeam B&R 11?

I need to install an agent on the host server and .NET 4.8 is a requirement. I cannot get a definitive answer from our 3rd party vendor who just refer me back to the System Requirements.

Thank you

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 9 August 2021, 14:11

View original

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It was supported for V10, so it is for Veeam V11.

https://forums.veeam.com/post375702.html#p375702

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As the vendor should. The requirement noted in the req’s is .NET 4.7.2 (see here). But, newer versions should be fine. That being said, if your VBR server is running in a VM, it’s easy to test/verify. I would take a snapshot of the VBR server VM, upgrade/install .NET 4.8, then create a test backup job to see if it works as normal. After the upgrade, I’d also see if browsing other items - Repl jobs, job history, storage integration, anything else you’ve configured initially, looks ok. If all seems fine, delete & commit the VBR server VM snapshot. If this process isn’t something you’re willing to do, contact Veeam Support to verify .NET is supported.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As the vendor should. The requirement noted in the req’s is .NET 4.7.2 (see here). But, newer versions should be fine. That being said, if your VBR server is running in a VM, it’s easy to test/verify. I would take a snapshot of the VBR server VM, upgrade/install .NET 4.8, then create a test backup job to see if it works as normal. After the upgrade, I’d also see if browsing other items - Repl jobs, job history, storage integration, anything else you’ve configured initially, looks ok. If all seems fine, delete & commit the VBR server VM snapshot. If this process isn’t something you’re willing to do, contact Veeam Support to verify .NET is supported.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

This is the best advice as noted by Shane.  It should support it but test to be sure. 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Well, though I think the answer should really be my comment, at least Chris’s response included my comment :) 

Cheers!

Userlevel 1

Well, though I think the answer should really be my comment, at least Chris’s response included my comment :) 

Cheers!

Sorry! Yes - Premature clicker! Will test with snapshots in place, just to be safe.

Thank you for the concise reply - appreciate it! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Cheers!

It’s fixed, @coolsport00  :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thanks @Kseniya !! Let us know how it goes @lewishardwick .

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

I learnt something new today. I was always under the impression that snapshotting and reverting a Veeam server was not recommended due to CBT tracking in VMware being lost. So I am assuming it is fine to snapshot and revert if no jobs have been run?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

I learnt something new today. I was always under the impression that snapshotting and reverting a Veeam server was not recommended due to CBT tracking in VMware being lost. So I am assuming it is fine to snapshot and revert if no jobs have been run?

Yep you should be good. There are a few ways to handle upgrades.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Yep you should be good. There are a few ways to handle upgrades.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I wouldn’t run each and every job either. I only mentioned just to create 1 after the snap, with 1 VM..just to test. I’m pretty sure I’ve done similar testing without issue. Thanks for chiming in on this @Chris.Childerhose . Cheers fellas!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wouldn’t run each and every job either. I only mentioned just to create 1 after the snap, with 1 VM..just to test. I’m pretty sure I’ve done similar testing without issue. Thanks for chiming in on this @Chris.Childerhose . Cheers fellas!

No trouble at all Shane as I have tested this stuff lots of times.   Been burned in the past with a few upgrades. 

Comment