Solved

MS SQL Plug-In and email notifications

• 18 October 2023
  • 3 comments

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello everyone.

I’ve been beating on this for a week and have finally given in to post a question here. I have the plug-in installed and it works great. Very easy to setup, and it just works.

The problem comes where I am not very familiar with MS SQL. I would like to get email notifications for the database backups. It appears that this needs to be configured within SQL Server Management Studio. I have database mail setup and it can send test messages, but I can’t seem to get the SQL agent job for the database backup to kick out an email when it completes.

Has anyone attempted to get this working who can provide me with some information?

Thanks,

Joe

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 19 October 2023, 17:49

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can you share a screenshot of your notification settings and post?

Userlevel 1
Badge
Properties for the Operator I created

Ironically, I figured it out while making the screen shots to share. In the “Operators” section of SQL Server Agent, I had the Operator setup incorrectly. For whatever reason, I interpreted “Email name” under Notification Options to be the display name for the distro I wanted to send to. I don’t know why I did that.

And looking in the error log for Database Mail, it kept telling me it couldn’t send because I wasn’t specifying a recipient. Once I put the email address in that field and ran a test DB backup, I received the email.

Thanks all for listening anyway!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yep..kinda why I wanted to see the screenshot. To see if fields were entered correctly. Always good to have a couple extra eyes 😊 Glad you got it sorted!

Comment