Solved

Migrating CDP Replica's to new Datastore

• 17 October 2023
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi all, last week I deployed a new storage array.  I’ve migrated all production VM’s as well as replica’s that resided on the datastores, except for CDP replica’s.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to migrate the CDP replica’s and update the CDP policy to point to the new datastores. Storage vMotion inexplicably gets cancelled by a user later on - assuming that’s VBR even though I currently have the policy disabled.  That said, I can’t modify the specified datastore below as well - all is disabled.  I thought I might clone the policy, but it looks like CDP policies can’t be cloned like backup and copy jobs - not a big deal but also caught me off-guard.

So am I missing something, or do I need to recreate the policy and restart replication from scratch?

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 17 October 2023, 20:28

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

How is Storage VMotion operation getting cancelled? I wonder if it has anything to do with the I/O filter on the Hosts? Anyway, this is an interesting question/dilemma. Have you reached out to Support?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I believe you need to recreate the CDP policy and I think you can seed things. I used this once for my book so may be off on some steps. I can take a look after and see but I removed the I/O filters to update to 8U2.  😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I’m curious, never think about it..I can test on my lab when I have some time!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Backup and restore seeding could help recreate the policy as @Chris.Childerhose indicates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

How is Storage VMotion operation getting cancelled? I wonder if it has anything to do with the I/O filter on the Hosts? Anyway, this is an interesting question/dilemma. Have you reached out to Support?

I’m not exactly sure...they’re pretty sizable so they take a while to move so I step away and a little later when I check in on them on I see the below.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I believe you need to recreate the CDP policy and I think you can seed things. I used this once for my book so may be off on some steps. I can take a look after and see but I removed the I/O filters to update to 8U2.  😂

I’ll give this a try.  I know I have IO filters that need to be updated on the source hosts, but I’ve been putting that off.  But I have updates and such all around that are needed in the environment, so I’ll have to bite the bullet at some point.  I was just trying to get the new SAN installed first, and then get the VMware and Veeam updates (if any) done afterwords.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’m not exactly sure...they’re pretty sizable so they take a while to move so I step away and a little later when I check in on them on I see the below.

A bit more digging actually indicates there was an error and not a cancellation of the task.  I’ll give Chris’ advice a shot.

Comment