Question

M365 Sharepoint Backup - 404 error

Userlevel 1

Hi there, I run an MSP and have just started to get get familiar with Veeam products. The community editions are fantastic.

I’ve setup some Sharepoint jobs which are now working, but get a 404 error on a sharepoint file which highlights the job with a warning.

https://xxx.sharepoint.com/All Users Shared/_catalogs/masterpage/v4.master

A few questions if you don’t mind.

1. How can I exclude the path / file or supress the error
  2. When SP backups are running - (Physical machine with CPU i7 4.0, 32Gb) spikes and holds 100% for long periods of time - is this normal? e.g. SP has about 30k objects
  3. Memory can go to 5Gb-15Gb - will it use as much as it can?
  4. I had some 429 or throttling issues, but adding more applications fixed it issue

Thank you very much,

DP

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

Few things:

MSPs can’t offer services with, or use free/community editions for clients/third parties. Unsure if you’re just testing the product internally but just an FYI:

”You may not use the Free and Community Edition Licenses to provide services to third parties (including support and consulting services for existing Free and Community Edition License installations) or to process third-party data.”

Source: https://www.veeam.com/eula.html

That your CPU is at 100% constantly is potentially indicative of you having too many threads configured. For an initial backup I was always told to expect to have to reduce Thread count to 32, the recommended proxy sizing is 8CPU + 32GB RAM so I’d certainly look at reducing threads to reduce CPU contention. This will also help with your 429 throttling errors.

It used to be recommended to add additional applications but Microsoft have been firm in advising against this for a few reasons. Mostly Microsoft safeguarding their service performance. Once your full backup is done I’d suggest removing these if you can get away with it as the feature is deprecated, and you could hit tenant level throttling if you push too hard which will impact your clients accessing resources.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Michael, yes using these editions to learn more about the product.

Noted about the CPU - hopefully someone can help with the 404 error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @DigitalPulley 

As an MSP, you can ask for a NFR license to learn our products. This will allow you to use all Features and not just Community Edition Features.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @DigitalPulley 

As an MSP, you can ask for a NFR license to learn our products. This will allow you to use all Features and not just Community Edition Features.

Best,

Fabian

Yes, the NFR licensing is unbelievably helpful for the lab environment and learning.  The licenses last a year and then you have to cut a new one...and it’s amazing how fast a year goes….but seriously, look into this because it works around the few limitations on community edition.  And when you’re ready to offer it to clients, you can either sell them licenses as a ProPartner, or you can rent licenses to them as-a-service.  I’ve just setup my first client in VB356 using rental licenses for BaaS and using Wasabi as the target storage - working great.  It generates a lot of traffic on the initial backup as my server is on-premise, but I’m putting it on my backup link so that it doesn’t kill our regular production bandwidth like I did on my testing of the product.  However, it can throttle which I’m leveraging for now.  Incremental backups are nice a fast.  Can’t wait to move some more new folks on it and looking to migrate folks off of our other solution as well.  The only learning curve I’ve had so far is setting up the jobs to grab all mailboxes and such but not data I don’t want, but hoping to have it grab new users automatically.  Or a way to automate which mailboxes to backup based on active mailboxes in M365.  I suspect it’s going to involve exporting users from the M365 admin console and then importing that to a job via the powershell, but haven’t gotten a chance to really dig into it.  

Anyhow, got a little off-topic, but I haven’t seen that specific SharePoint error, but wanted to share in my experience as I am beginning this journey sort-of along with you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

It used to be recommended to add additional applications but Microsoft have been firm in advising against this for a few reasons. Mostly Microsoft safeguarding their service performance. Once your full backup is done I’d suggest removing these if you can get away with it as the feature is deprecated, and you could hit tenant level throttling if you push too hard which will impact your clients accessing resources.

Thank you for this tip.  I wasn’t aware of this and wondered why having the additional application was disabled by default.  I enabled it but will turn it off since my initial backup is now done for my first tenant.

Userlevel 1

Hi @DigitalPulley 

Best,

Fabian

Yes, the NFR licensing is unbelievably helpful for the lab environment and learning.  The licenses last a year and then you have to cut a new one...and it’s amazing how fast a year goes….but seriously, look into this because it works around the few limitations on community edition.  And when you’re ready to offer it to clients, you can either sell them licenses as a ProPartner, or you can rent licenses to them as-a-service.  I’ve just setup my first client in VB356 using rental licenses for BaaS and using Wasabi as the target storage - working great.  It generates a lot of traffic on the initial backup as my server is on-premise, but I’m putting it on my backup link so that it doesn’t kill our regular production bandwidth like I did on my testing of the product.  However, it can throttle which I’m leveraging for now.  Incremental backups are nice a fast.  Can’t wait to move some more new folks on it and looking to migrate folks off of our other solution as well.  The only learning curve I’ve had so far is setting up the jobs to grab all mailboxes and such but not data I don’t want, but hoping to have it grab new users automatically.  Or a way to automate which mailboxes to backup based on active mailboxes in M365.  I suspect it’s going to involve exporting users from the M365 admin console and then importing that to a job via the powershell, but haven’t gotten a chance to really dig into it.  

Anyhow, got a little off-topic, but I haven’t seen that specific SharePoint error, but wanted to share in my experience as I am beginning this journey sort-of along with you.

Thanks for your advice - I’ll look into Wasabi.

Essentially I’m looking to supress backup errors, or ignore paths - I didn’t think that would be a hard question. I’ll get the NFR and use that internally.

I normally use shadowprotect and continual increments. I did some testing with sample data on a 1 year retention period, it makes sense now, but didn’t realise it wouldn’t then backup files older than that. I couldn’t find a way to then capture those files so had to delete the job and setup a new forever retention repo and backup the data again. Very different concepts.

Is there an easy way to backup the repo to another local drive? I could use syncback or simular. How does Veeam make another local copy or does it only allow online object storage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for your advice - I’ll look into Wasabi.

Essentially I’m looking to supress backup errors, or ignore paths - I didn’t think that would be a hard question. I’ll get the NFR and use that internally.

I normally use shadowprotect and continual increments. I did some testing with sample data on a 1 year retention period, it makes sense now, but didn’t realise it wouldn’t then backup files older than that. I couldn’t find a way to then capture those files so had to delete the job and setup a new forever retention repo and backup the data again. Very different concepts.

Is there an easy way to backup the repo to another local drive? I could use syncback or simular. How does Veeam make another local copy or does it only allow online object storage?

Are we still talking about VB365 here or did you switch over to VBR?  Asking because I wasn’t aware of ShadowProtect having a product for backing up M365.

If you are talking about VBR, you can create a copy job to copy backups to another repository.  This can be direct to object with v12, or it can be to a regular repository, or to both a normal repo and object via a Scale-Out Backup Repository.

If we’re still talking about VB365, I haven’t played with copy jobs, but yes, backups can be copied to object.  I’m not sure about another local repo...I’ll have to look that up but I’ve gotta run and errand and I’ll come back to this.

Comment