Solved

lost restore point

Userlevel 1

We had a firm that upgraded our veeam to v 11.

In the same time, we replace the SAN.

The original SAN that was used for backup was replaced by the new unit.

The original SAN was then used for the copy, and the copy SAN not use anymore.

It appear that we lost all 95% of restore point that we had before cause of a disk space problem that corrupt the file for most jobs in the server. Now we only have one month of restore point cause. we lost everything else. We think that it was cause of a bad way to upgrade, but the consulting firm continue to claim that it was the disk space problem that caused the loss of six-month  backup.

is it possible that the disk space corrupt all the restore point and there is no way to recover the old backup or maybe from our old copy SAN that is still unused since the migration?

Thanks for your help.

icon

Best answer by Scott 31 October 2022, 17:24

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Mikaden welcome to the forums.

Are you still able to access the backup files on your old SAN?

What you could potentially do is copy all the backup files and then perform an import into your Veeam instance. At the point of import, Veeam should run a check on the files and determine if they are ok or not. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

This link may be of assistance https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/importing_backups.html?ver=110

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I don't know how a disk space problem would corrupt all restore points. Of course the most current one wouldn't work, but all other ones aren't touched in that case; except someone starts deleting them to free up space.

Are the restore points still there? What errors do you see?

In any case, open a priority case with Veeam support and let them check if there's anything left which can be recovered/repaired.

Finally an advice: It seems like all your backups are on disk storage. This doesn't offer sufficient protection against many disasters (for example ransomware) as both yor primary and secondary backups are online. Take a look at the following post from @Nico Losschaert 

Userlevel 1

thanks dip, will look in the old SAN to see if we can recover like you said.

Regnor, That’s what I think and what I don’t understand why a disk space problem could corrupt all the previous backup or restore point. I notice the error in couple of job for about 1 week before my team see it. but in my mind that should not touch all the other backup in the disk. I think that the external firm that upgrade our backup system did something wrong and don’t want to admit it. 

Userlevel 1

I just think about it. The old backup was done on the SAN that had been reused for the new backup copy. The old backup copies are on an SAN that not use anymore. And we just install a new SAN for the new backup and use the old original backup SAN for the copy of the new solution.

I only have the old backup copy SAN. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

First off, open a ticket. when you are dealing with missing data, or potentially missing data use the official channels. Advice from random people on a forum (even if they are smart and giving good advice) is not advised. 

This seems like a question more tailored to the R&D forums after the ticket is open. 

Are these critical backups? if not active full and start fresh.

If they are, can you brows to them? unless you overwrote them, you should be able to just import them. 

Userlevel 1

thanks for all the info. we have a ticket open on this problem.

Comment