Solved

Linux single file restore fails, no error in log...

Userlevel 2

Good morning,

I’m attempting to restore a single file to an Ubuntu workstation (Vmware VM (ESXi/vCenter)).  I’m able to browse the file system, the FLR appliance sets up properly, everything looks good, then it fails, there is NO error in the logs..  There is 1 single warning:

Skipping mapping [/media/sda3 ↔ /], because custom mapping on mounted path [/media/sda3] already exists on [/]

Not sure if that warning is what’s causing my issue, however it is the only NON -INFO entry in the entire log… 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Corey

P.S. having a real hard time finding a community support forum, so if this is the wrong place to post this I apologize...

icon

Best answer by coreyoli 25 August 2023, 17:02

View original

27 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What are you using for backup?..VBR or Veeam Linux Agent? If VBR, what version?

Userlevel 2

What are you using for backup?..VBR or Veeam Linux Agent? If VBR, what version?

My apologies!  I should point out that it’s a VM (VMWare ESXi and vcenter involvement).  I have installed nothing on the VM’s it’s all handled through Veeam/vCenter…

Not sure I’m answering your question, I’m sorry...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok; when you created your backup, did you select to backup the Volume or did you select File Level? If you chose entire Volume, you will not be able to select an individual file to restore, as noted in the User Guide, 3rd paragraph down.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah, ok...so you’re using VBR?..meaning, Veeam Backup & Replication? Is it the free (Community Edition) version, or another version?

Userlevel 2

Ok; when you created your backup, did you select to backup the Volume or did you select File Level? If you chose entire Volume, you will not be able to select an individual file to restore.

Maybe that’s the problem, then..  I’m doing full VM backups..  I’m surprised it will let me browse the entire file system within a backup but not restore…  So my only option is to restore the entire VM to a different location, however doing that only offers the most recent backup, nothing prior…?

Confused as to why a single file restore option would be unavailable...

Userlevel 2

I was able to restore a single file to a Windows server without an issue, and all VM’s have been added to the job in the same manner, so I don’t think this is the issue…

Really wish the logs were a little more robust..  If it’s failing, there should be an error...

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

If you chose entire Volume, you will not be able to select an individual file to restore, as noted in the User Guide, 3rd paragraph down.

Never heard of such limitation. And paragraph 3 is not about guest file level restore. It redirects you to the file level restore guide in case you want todo a single file restore from a volume backup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Nope...you are fine. Yep..using VBR you should be able to restore individual files for Linux machines. The Guide info I shared was for only the Veeam Agent for Linux.

Is it possible to go through the process again then post the error/warning you’re getting with the File Level Recovery wizard/Backup Browser window?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“Never heard of such limitation. And paragraph 3 is not about guest file level restore.”

@Mildur - As I was waiting for his response on which he was using..VBR or Agent, I posted that info for Veeam Agent for Linux. Are you able to restore individual files using Agent when selecting a whole Volume to backup?

Userlevel 2

Nothing in the window just at the end says failed..  However I’m able to “copy” the file to the local veeam server, so I have the file and that is fine, for now while I look into this further…

And when I say no error, I really mean no error it simply says “failed” with no error..  It’s frustrating, but I have the file.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“It redirects you to the file level restore guide in case you want todo a single file restore from a volume backup.” @Mildur It does...apologies there, sir.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

“Never heard of such limitation. And paragraph 3 is not about guest file level restore.”

@Mildur - As I was waiting for his response on which he was using..VBR or Agent, I posted that info for Veeam Agent for Linux. Are you able to restore individual files using Agent when selecting a whole Volume to backup?

Yes :)

Volume level and File level backups can be used for single file restore. The limitation you have mentioned is that you cannot restore single files when you start a volume level restore.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agentforlinux/userguide/restore_file.html?ver=60

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@coreyoli - when I’ve done, or attempted, file level restores for Linux devices, the issue I’ve ran into was needing a local account of the Linux device to do the restore. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“The limitation you have mentioned is that you cannot restore single files when you start a volume level restore.” → Ahhhh….ok. Really appreciate the clarification @Mildur . Thank you, sir 😊

Userlevel 2

I’m going to restart the restore so I can get a screenshot of the restore window…  Maybe I found a bug, who knows…  But the fact that it fails without documenting an error anywhere is concerning...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That is kinda weird. You may have indeed found a bug...I’ve found a couple over the yrs, tho it’s been a while since, so it’s not completely out of the ordinary. Actually, there was an issue someone had last week with VeeamONE and date/timeline with a graph, and it was actually a ‘bug’. Support gave the poster a hotfix to resolve it. So...it’s possible 😊

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

ohh wait..  Just noticed it says “copied file does not exist” at the end of the failure...

Userlevel 2

This is good news..  this gives me something to research...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah, ok..something to work with! Have you looked in the VMware User Guide for restoring Linux files? First, look at the process, then review the limitations. Make sure you meet them, for ex. when restoring to orig location or new VM, you must have VMtools/OVM Tools installed and running on the target VM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

fyi - OVM Tools is not a part of Linux by default. You must install it separately. Good news, it’s easier than previous yrs installing VMware Tools by simply running a linux install cmd. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2073803

Userlevel 2

for sure, can’t live with VMWare Tools on a VM…  Thanks for all the help, without pulling those screenshots I may not have noticed that error!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sure thing!

Userlevel 2

All set guys..  Was a DNS issue, I explicitly set the DNS in the registry per the instructions posted here and was able to restore the file back to it’s original location!

Not sure why it didn’t like the DNS server from DHCP, but as long as it works!!

Thanks again!

-Corey

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Fantastic! It’s always DNS, right??  😂

Comment