Solved

Invalid mail credentials

Userlevel 4

Hi all, 

At the end of the job it does not send the email because it cannot find the credentials:

When entering options to modify them

I am getting the following error report

And I can't do anything else, since clicking ok on the notice doesn't do anything else.

Any idea? Thank you so much.

icon

Best answer by andres.molino 29 February 2024, 09:45

View original

25 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What version of Veeam are you using? Seems to be an older version, because there is no “Options” option in the Console now...it’s called “General Options”, and don’t recall when that name was changed.

I can’t remember, but maybe you have credentials saved which you use in the Email Settings. I don’t recall that ever being the case with Veeam Email Settings. But, I’d check in your Credentials & Passwords settings to see if you’re using a set of user/pwd credentials there for your email, and change the pwd in that area.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What account did you use when installing Veeam and was that account on the VBR deleted?   You need an account that is in the local administrator group to log in to the console and then you can change the settings.

Userlevel 4

What version of Veeam are you using? Seems to be an older version.

I can’t remember, but maybe you have credentials saved which you use in the Email Settings. I don’t recall that ever being the case with Veeam Email Settings. But, I’d check in your credentials settings to see if you’re using a set of user/pwd credentials there for your email, and change the pwd in that area.

I don't see a way to access the email credentials if not through "Options". Furthermore, I cannot modify any other option since the error does not allow me to enter the rest of the settings.

Userlevel 4

What account did you use when installing Veeam and was that account on the VBR deleted?   You need an account that is in the local administrator group to log in to the console and then you can change the settings.

The account is active. The work is done correctly. Backup jobs work correctly. I can add and delete.Everything is functional except for sending emails after jobs and the "Options" tab.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh ok...so the new v12.1 changes the General Options back to Options?..Interesting.

Are you able to go into the Credentials section?

Userlevel 4

Oh ok...so the new v12.1 changes the General Options back to Options?..Interesting.

Yes,

but in none of these options the credentials for sending emails are managed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes,

but in none of these options the credentials for sending emails are managed.

What if you install the Console on another system and connect to the VBR server - can you access the Options section that way?

Userlevel 4

Another installation, on another server, with the same accounts and credentials, works perfectly.

Userlevel 4

What if you install the Console on another system and connect to the VBR server - can you access the Options section that way?

Ok, I see how to do it and try that way.

Thanks @Chris.Childerhose  & @coolsport00 for your help! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Ok, I see how to do it and try that way.

Thanks @Chris.Childerhose  & @coolsport00 for your help! :)

this mail option is from the Scale Out repository, right?

may I ask, SMTP basic authentication? 
maybe that s what it hurts, have you try with different option? SMTP authenticated? 
that´s the thing with mail alerting from M365, depends on the security features, versions, etc.

check it out.

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

As @HunterLAFR Basic Auth is being deprecated in Office 365. This might come in useful: 
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/deprecation-of-basic-authentication-exchange-online

Userlevel 4

maybe that s what it hurts, have you try with different option? SMTP authenticated? 
that´s the thing with mail alerting from M365, depends on the security features, versions, etc.

check it out.

cheers.

I set it up with a Gmail account, it worked fine. It was the next day when the error appeared and it no longer allowed me to enter options. Later I looked at the logs and saw that there was an error after finishing the backup and sending the email.
The fact is that the error in the credential also prevents it from entering the "Options" tab :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

check it out.

cheers.

I set it up with a Gmail account, it worked fine. It was the next day when the error appeared and it no longer allowed me to enter options. Later I looked at the logs and saw that there was an error after finishing the backup and sending the email.
The fact is that the error in the credential also prevents it from entering the "Options" tab :(

Gmail should work fine as I have my homelab set up that way and it works without issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@andres.molino Did you try this for the credential issue? It’s old but worth to try it.

https://www.veeam.com/kb1807

Userlevel 4

@andres.molino Did you try this for the credential issue? It’s old but worth to try it.

Hi @CarySun CarySun, yes, I had already seen that post, and it refers to the credentials for the jobs, not those for sending notifications via email.

I think the most important thing here is, why does a credentials failure cause me to not be able to access the options menu?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @CarySun CarySun, yes, I had already seen that post, and it refers to the credentials for the jobs, not those for sending notifications via email.

I think the most important thing here is, why does a credentials failure cause me to not be able to access the options menu?

That and why it works on another machine with the console installed.  Are you able to access the Users & Roles section of the menu?  If so, check what users are there and add another one to the Backup Administrator role - then see if you can log in with that and change options.  If that works, I would remove the account from the list that does not work and add another one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yeah...don’t know if I’ve seen this issue before.

I had asked about the credentials area myself. He had said he was able to open them, though the screenshot above only shows him viewing the different Cred options. Hopefully he was able to open and get into them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Another installation, on another server, with the same accounts and credentials, works perfectly.

Was going to say, I’m surprised you can still use basic auth.  It’s going away...I’d recommend changing to Modern Auth.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Was going to say, I’m surprised you can still use basic auth.  It’s going away...I’d recommend changing to Modern Auth.

It’s not going away for SMTP. But it may been disabled by Microsoft for the tenant. You can enable it if you have old devices not capable to use modern authentication to send mails.

Deprecation of Basic authentication in Exchange Online | Microsoft Learn
Enable or disable SMTP AUTH in Exchange Online | Microsoft Learn

@andres.molino 
Looks like the credentials are missing in the configuration database. This is not something a remote console can solve. I suggest you open a support case with us to solve this issue.
Or replace the credentials of the notification settings per PowerShell with existing credentials ID from the database. Something like:

$credentials = Get-VBRCredentials

Set-VBRMailNotificationConfiguration -SmtpServer <IP or FQDN> -Sender <sender@domain.tld> -Recipient <recipient@domain.tld> -Subject %BackupJobs% -NotifyOnFailure -Credentials $credentials[0]

This will replace the current notification setting with existing credential IDs. Then the option window should open as normal again and you can change the notification settings as required.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’ve heard rumblings in the past that basic auth for SMTP would go away eventually too though I couldn’t really pinpoint to anything substantial.  I’ve operated under that assumption for a while now and avoid SMTP basic auth when I can.  But yeah, I don’t see anything official about it going away anytime soon.

Userlevel 4

Hi all, 

We finally opened a ticket with support and they fixed it.

It works correctly again with the credentials.

Thank you so much to everyone, incredible community! 😍

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @andres.molino -

Glad to hear Support was able to get you sorted. Curious to hear what they did to fix it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great to hear you were able to get the issue fixed with the help of support.

Userlevel 4

Hi @andres.molino -

Glad to hear Support was able to get you sorted. Curious to hear what they did to fix it? 

I'm sorry to say that I don't know either, it is a big company and the team that manages the licenses and incidents with support is independent and they only told us that the incident was resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@andres.molino - all good. Was moreso for my curiousity. Just glad it’s taken care of for you all.

Comment